Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Card Tricks Block using stripes >

Card Tricks Block using stripes

Card Tricks Block using stripes

Old 05-16-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Originally Posted by bstanbro
When you said there is no shortcut for this, I wasn't sure whether you were referring to the use of stripes or the block itself. Actually, there is a shortcut for the block by Eleanor Burns. The pattern is called Winning Hand. I've made two of them and they are much easier than the Card Trick method:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29503-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29504-1.htm
I believe she was referring to the use of the stripes. I saw your card trick quilts and they were beautiful! However, I couldn't figure out how you would get the square effect of the stripes using Eleanor Burns method.
You are correct Bistanbro: There is an easy method for doing the card trick block. Eleanor Burns has done fabulous work to show quilters how to maximize fabric, strip piece, and produce great quilts in shorter periods of time.

Sorry for not being more clear. If you want your card tricks blocks to appear as if each one has a mitered border by using stripes, then there isn't an easy way except to fussy cut.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:45 AM

More Tips for fabric selection:

I apologize for those who are ready to cut. I came across some tips while working on this that might prove helpful as you continue to select your fabrics.
I ordered some fabric last week online and thought it might be good for my quilt. Once I received it, however, as pretty and high quality as it was, I knew right away that I wouldn't be able to use this particular fabric to make a striped card trick block. The reason was only because the design wasn't symmetrical. My loss is your gain. I decided to cut into it anyway as a sacrificial piece.

Flowers aren't symmetrical in nature, and they most usually are not symetrical in border prints. As it should be.

In the pictures, you will see the fabric before being cut, and then examples of two HST's that were cut from it.

I like this, but it just won't work
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68378[/ATTACH]

closer view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68379[/ATTACH]

2 pairs of nearly identical HST's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68380[/ATTACH]

Keep the border along one edge, the flowers are not going to blend nicely into each other
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68381[/ATTACH]

The leaves are not going to blend either
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68382[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-68373.jpe   attachment-68374.jpe   attachment-68375.jpe   attachment-68376.jpe   attachment-68377.jpe  

Old 05-16-2010, 06:50 AM

Folks, does anybody have any fabric in this category that I can ogle? I want to see yours too!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 AM

What size are your triangles cut from?
Old 05-16-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
More Tips for fabric selection:

I apologize for those who are ready to cut. I came across some tips while working on this that might prove helpful as you continue to select your fabrics.
I ordered some fabric last week online and thought it might be good for my quilt. Once I received it, however, as pretty and high quality as it was, I knew right away that I wouldn't be able to use this particular fabric to make a striped card trick block. The reason was only because the design wasn't symmetrical. My loss is your gain. I decided to cut into it anyway as a sacrificial piece.

Flowers aren't symmetrical in nature, and they most usually are not symetrical in border prints. As it should be.

In the pictures, you will see the fabric before being cut, and then examples of two HST's that were cut from it.
This is very pretty fabric. If it doesn't work for the card trick blocks would something like this work in a OBW I hope to do one of those and a card trick quilt sometime, just looking for the right fabrics.

:-)
Old 05-16-2010, 02:43 PM

I am so looking forward to see how you cut this. I have only a few stripped fabrics but want to make a few blocks to get me going. Be sure and say the size of each piece cut. Thank you for doing this.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:55 PM

Cutting instructions:

I used blue template plastic to make two templates.
The first HST is from a 4 7/8 square of plastic, cut once on the diagonal. This is labeled as A.

the first QST is from a 5 1/4 square of plastic, cut twice on the diagonal. This is labeled as B.

I came up with a good system to cut my "A" units without the plastic template, because I was either slicing the edges off it, or it was slipping. So I used the corner of a ruler that had a line to mark the center of the corner (a 45 degree line) and used masking tape placed carefully at the 4 7/8 marks -see photo.

Let's start with the zigzag green.

Templates cut
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68724[/ATTACH]

ruler to serve as template A
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68725[/ATTACH]

two fabrics used for this block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68726[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-68719.jpe   attachment-68720.jpe   attachment-68721.jpe  
Old 05-16-2010, 04:05 PM

The stripes are easiest. Place your ruler or template along the bottom edge of a stripe. You can determine which stripe to use as your base line. Position your ruler or template so you only have to make two cuts.

You will need four identical units. In some cases, you can simply turn your fabric around, but check the pattern of the fabric carefully. Sometimes the stripes have colorways that make this not possible. That is actually the case of my red fabric which I will explain after we finish with the green fabric.

Cut along template or ruler
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68885[/ATTACH]

for this stripe, I could simply turn the fabric around to cut the additional HST.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68886[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-68880.jpe   attachment-68881.jpe  
Old 05-16-2010, 04:10 PM

Now, using one HST that you have cut, place it on the fabric, perpendicular to the stripe. Move it around on the fabric until it lines up and makes a corner.

Place template B here.

Place your ruler over the template - cut off excess fabric to the right.

Half Square Triangle placed on fabric to make a corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68888[/ATTACH]

template B
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68889[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-68883.jpe   attachment-68884.jpe   attachment-68885.jpe  
Old 05-16-2010, 04:15 PM

Place your ruler along the edge of template B.

Slide the template out of the way, and make this cut.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-68592.jpe   attachment-68886.jpe   attachment-68887.jpe   attachment-68888.jpe