Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Card Wallet

Power Poster

Card Wallet

Disclaimer: I will give my measurements but every time I do one, I still have to fiddle with the folds to get them spaced right. I strongly suggest you do a full size paper pattern first and get all the fold correct as a guide. I will load these one by one as that is the only way I know how so bare with me. Picture first....Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3351
Size:  229.3 KB

Power Poster
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3347
Size:  236.4 KBI can cut 2 from a fat quarter. The fabric should measure 9 inches by 19 and 3/4. You can do 9 by 20 if you have a bigger seam on the bottom. Starting at the bottom the folds go 2-1/4, 2, 2-1/2, 1-3/4, 2-1/4, 1-3/4, 2-1/2, 4-1/4 inches.

Power Poster
Views: 3346
Size:  245.7 KBWell other than the picture being upside down with the 4-1/4 spot on the bottom, that's it pinned. Next picture.

Power Poster
    I use chalk to transfer the fold lines to the right side of the fabric so I can see to iron in the folds. The top folds you can see to fold on the chalk lines, I put a pin in the lines for the valley folds because I can't see those to iron them. Iron in all the folds until it look just like it should but with raw edges.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3333
Size:  191.2 KB

Power Poster
    I carefully turn it right side in to sew around the edge leaving a 4-1/4 inch opening in the bottom for turning. After sewing I grade the seams where it is folded and trim the corners for turning. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3313
Size:  193.9 KB

Power Poster
    You can use Timtex as a stiffener but I use the same template plastic I posted about from the $ store cut into 2 approx. 4 inch squares. I turn the wallet right side out and slide the plastic into each side. When it is positioned perfectly, I topstich 1/8 all around the edge and down the center to hold the fabric folds and so it folds nicely in half. My DIL likes a bit of Velcro so I cut a 1-1/4 piece in half and stitch it as I topstitch. Yes if you go slowly, you can stitch right through the plastic. I backstitch on both ends of the Velcro. The hook side always gives me trouble unless I cover it with wax paper. It removes easily after sewing.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3327
Size:  203.0 KB

Power Poster
Views: 3317
Size:  216.8 KBThat's it when folded in half. Hope you can follow my pictures.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Tartan for your clearly written tutorial. I hope to make one tomorrow.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Oh how cute! Thanks Tartan for taking the time to write these instructions out. I love that fabric too, and I'd also use the velcro for a closure, I think.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Thank you for the tutorial, Tartan! I'm a little confused on how you get the template plastic in. Do you just slide it in sideways through the opening in the bottom, and then wiggle it into place? Also, do you use one piece for each slot, or one larger piece for each half? Sorry, maybe I stayed up too late and need an extra cup of coffee before I try to read instructions, lol. Happy New Year!

Btw, the fabric you chose is so cute!

very nice tute, I wish we had something to repel the new scanners the bad guys have! They say you can wrap your cards in foil, I wonder if we could wrap the plastic in foil before inserting? just might try it.

Power Poster
    Since I leave the center 4-14 inch open on the bottom, (close it with the top stitching later) I can insert the 4X4 piece of plastic in from the center and move it to the side. You need to make sure you put it under the folds or you can't slide it into place. Once I have one 4X4 in one side, I slide the second 4X4 into the other side. They should just meet in the center without any overlap. If they are a little big, take out and trim. Make sure any ironing is done before you add your PLASTIC as it may distort with a hot iron?

You can use an iron on stabilizer instead of the plastic but my DIL like hers firm enough to slid into her jeans. As for adding foil to confuse the scanners? Why not, just trim your plastics a little smaller. I might make them small enough that you could top stitch without sewing through the plastic plus tinfoil as the machine may not like it.

Great tutorial. Am going to have to try this. Thanks
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

Really cute and useful too - I could make one to match every purse I have! Thanks for preparing the tutorial, and for sharing!

Thanks! I'm going to give this a try.

Good tutorial. Thanks for sharing.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. It’s hard to see where you’re going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Power Poster
    Thanks for sharing...

Is there a way I can save this tutorial with the pictures so I can have the directions by me while I sew? My computer is in another room and goes to sleep very easily when not in use, so I have to keep turning it back on.

Blog Entries
    Oh these are so cute. I will attempt to make one. Im going to try to print the instructions off so I have them near by. Thanks for the pictures and instructions.

Thanks for the tute!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

Blog Entries
    Tartan could you iron a fusible stuff on the back before doing the folds and top stitching each fold before Turning.
    just a thought, then you don't need to put plastic stiffener in.
    lovely tute and card case.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Thanks for the tute! Can't wait to make some.
    Linda