Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
CHAT:  24 FEB, 2om EASTERN USA TIME / TOPIC:  WHO'S AFRAID OF THE BIG BAD BLOCK?  I AM, THAT'S WHO!! >

CHAT: 24 FEB, 2om EASTERN USA TIME / TOPIC: WHO'S AFRAID OF THE BIG BAD BLOCK? I AM, THAT'S WHO!!

CHAT: 24 FEB, 2om EASTERN USA TIME / TOPIC: WHO'S AFRAID OF THE BIG BAD BLOCK? I AM, THAT'S WHO!!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by auntiehenno
Patrice: everytime I see your kitten logo, a smile as big as I can get comes across my face. How old is this cutie patootie?
i have no idea. it's one of many kitten pics that were circulating the internet a few years ago. i used to have her on my desktop at work because she makes me smile, too.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:05 AM

A most facinating block. I love it and will do it today if i recouperate from yesterday.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 PM

I agree. This quilt looks very complicated, but the way you broke it down makes it look easy peasy. Thanks
Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 AM

WOW!
That is one clever way of looking at things, and so straight forward!
I am over here on the west coast, hitting my forehead going: IDIOT! Your mother raised an IDIOT!
Isn't it just so human to take a simple thing and complicate it?
Thank you, Patrice!
I just got a new friend to go "scrappy" and she is going to LOVE this block! <wave>
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Google Goddess

Hi,

Wow awesome tutorial. I am a beginner quilter and would this be easy for a beginner???

I am making my 1st quilt now by Eleanor Burns , Quilt in a day series and the pattern is Lovers Knot. I took a class and made the top in one day, I am now quilting it by machine and hope to get it done this month.

Karen
Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Hi,

Wow awesome tutorial. I am a beginner quilter and would this be easy for a beginner???

I am making my 1st quilt now by Eleanor Burns , Quilt in a day series and the pattern is Lovers Knot. I took a class and made the top in one day, I am now quilting it by machine and hope to get it done this month.

Karen
This would be VERY easy for a beginner ... especially when one realizes that the block is made up of Half Square Triangles (HST) and solid blocks!
Isn't Patrice just so clever???
Anyway, if you are working with Eleanor Burns books, did she teach you how to make HST with two squares, draw a diagonal line from one corner to opposite corner
sew 1/4 inch on both sides of the drawn line
Cut on the drawn line after you have sewn those two lines
press open (usually to the darker) and VIOLA!
With two squares, two seams, you have sewn two HST without having to worry about bias ....
so, now ... I don't remember how many of the colored and white blocks you need, but say you needed twelve white and yellow HST ... you would cut SIX white squares, SIX yellow squares, sew that diagonal thing, cut in half . VIOLA!
TWELVE HST blocks.
If you want to practice, cut one square say: 3 and 7/8 inches
a different colored square the same size
this will give you a finished sized square of 3 inches
(I can't explain the math - -just memorize this fact:)
If you know the finished size of your HST, add 7/8 inch to that finished size ... and that is the size square you need to cut to use this technique.
I think you could do this block/pattern quite nicely. <wave>
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
here is yet another way to break this block into manageable sections. i tried it this way for the first version. it's ok ... but i get lost too easily. i wanted to show it in case it would work for somebody else.
I used this one. I counted how many hst in each color and how many white squares. made them all and took a picture of the pattern and laid it out and sewed in rows. Very easy and very pretty.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Administrator

i'm tickled pink that you guys like my tute.

this block could be challenging for a beginner. however, if you take your time and keep careful track of your steps, a beginner could very well do this block successfully.

no matter which method you choose to make this block, the hardest parts are:

1. keeping the colors in the right place
2. keeping the patches pointed in the right direction

that's why i always

1. keep a printout of the finished block by the machine as a reference
2. i stack all the pieces and arranged them ahead of time

i stack and arrange everything on a sheet of cardboard. before i walk away from it, i stick pins through the stacks into the cardboard so they stay put. if i don't do that, they play musical chairs while i'm not looking. :lol:

a pizza box would come in handy. instead of a plain sheet of cardboard, you could stack, arrange, and pin them to the box. if you need set it aside, just close the lid and it's ready for safe storage.