Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Chat Class Instructions >

Chat Class Instructions

Chat Class Instructions

Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 PM

FLIP AND STITCH CHAT CLASS
Debbie/luvmy2bts Version of Quick Sew Table Runner

Class fabric requirements:

one piece of fabric 17 or 18 inches by width of fabric for backing.

one piece of warm and natural or warm and white the same size.

one focus fabric that is 9 inches square. Could be any picture but has to be cut on point. So that it sits not square but it sets diamond shaped.

Strips of fabrics to coordinate with the middle square cut different widths (anywhere from 1 1/2 inch up to 2 3/4 inch.) You should have at least 6 or 7 different fabrics but more is good also. I used quite a few in mine. I think I used 20 different ones but have done them with less and that is fine too.
(Sharon’s stacks of strips in order of use)

You also need a coordinating fabric for the binding. I would use a fabric that is also in your runner.

I prefer you use warm and natural cause we will be doing ironing on top of the batting and wouldn't want to have any melted messes.

I hope this is going to be fun and that we have many more classes like this.

Feel free to pm me or ask on the board if things are not clear to you.

Debbie

Instructional Class:
Step 1:

Okay ladies, take your backing fabric and lay on your batting. Then fold it in quarters so that you can find the middle for you 9 inch square. When you have that pin the square on in place

??
We pin it on point, right?

27/10/2007 ‹Debbie› right

{I pinned AND creased by iron}

Debbie› You may want to pin the four corners on the outside because you will be taking it all to the machine to sew

Debbie› Okay here goes

Step 2:

‹Debbie› I sometimes make a frame around my first square with a contrasting color. You don't have to though

IF you are making a frame: take a strip and lay it right side down on one side and sew. Then do the opposite side, then the 2 other opposites (cutting strips to be even on all ends/sides) no tails here.

‹Debbie› If you aren't doing the frame just start with a first strip and sew it down on one side.

‹Debbie› Make sure you iron every seam or you might end up with a lumpy top

??
do we just sew the length of the center square

‹Debbie› Yes

??
We are sewing right through the batting and the backing as we put on each piece, right?

‹Debbie› Yes you are. That way it is quilted as you go

??
so your backing and batting are the completed size you want to end up with??

‹Debbie› They are but you may need to do some squaring up so I had you cut a little larger

Step 3:
Debbie› Okay for those of you that did the frame just start on one side and add a strip.

Debbie› For those who didn't just add another strip to the one you already did. and continue to do so adding varying sizes til you reach the end.

??
The strip goes the whole width of the backing or only as long as the side of the square.

‹Debbie› Sorry keep forgetting just the length of the square

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/45/2764.page (page 4 for picture examples)

??
I'm asking how many strips are we adding?

‹Debbie› Just to one side all the way down

??
wait, Deb, what do you mean all the way down? Do we not alternate adding to opposite sides?

‹Debbie› No, just one side at a time
Debbie› Stay on one side adding strips till you can't add anymore

‹mimisharon› if you do two sides at the same time, it will not square up correctly, only do one strip and ONE side at a time, ladies, ok?

??
what about the top and bottom?

‹Debbie› You will do those later

Debbie› Start on one side of the square and add strips until you can't add any more

• you only do one side no matter how you started, with or with out frame

Debbie› I forgot to mention to cut your strips off even with the square
Don’t cut to short on the side edge of runner.
??
Just two sides, or are we doing top and bottom too?

‹Debbie› You can't do top and bottom till sides are done
Step 4:
Okay ladies just repeat the same thing on the opposite side. Vary your colors and your strip sizes

??
can any one post a pic of what they have completed at this stage for us visual learners???

‹Debbie› That might be a good idea posting a pic in progress. I am not sewing but someone else could

??
‹mimisharon› QUESTION DEBBIE-- by varying your strip sizes.......do you mean length and width?

‹Debbie› No I mean width

‹Debbie› Not length
??
length is even with square—correct?

‹Debbie› Yes

‹Debbie› They can be anywhere from 1 1/2 inch to 2 3/4 inch wide

‹Chele› Debbie, can you check my picture and make sure it's okay? I posted it on the original post.
‹Debbie› Okay I will

**I'll be taking a nap after this, machine is to far from cp
‹Debbie› LOL like Sharon said great exercise
‹Chele› LOL! I had to move my iron closer to the machine. Running to the laundry room was getting tough!
‹mimisharon› good leg exercise though

‹nanabirdmo› i just posted a picture of my project so far. it is on the same page as Debbies
‹Chele› Too cute, nanabirdmo!
‹nanabirdmo› thanks

‹mimisharon› OK, Debbie, next step

Step 5:
‹Debbie› Okay now you just do the same thing to one of the long sides making sure that the ends of the first sides are under. We don't want any raveled edges showing

??
The long side of the border around the 9" block?

??
are we going to stay on till we finish, except for binding? it may take me a while

Yes, we’ll stay as long as anyone needs help or has questions.

??
Are we putting strips the entire width of the runner or only on the sides of the square again?

‹Debbie› Entire width now OR entire length (whichever you started with, it’s the opposite one side, NOW)

??
the runner or only on the sides of the square again?
‹Debbie› Entire width now

‹Debbie› Or entire length

‹Debbie› Yes very nice nanabirdmo (just looked at picture of work in progress)

‹Debbie› Love your center block
‹nanabirdmo› thanks
27/10/2007 ‹nanabirdmo› it is paper pieced

??
debbie,so you work opposite sides like (nanobirdmos pic) then do long sides???

‹Debbie› Yes

??
Debbie-after finishing the "long" sides, do we just square it up and add the binding?

‹Debbie› Yes you do
Step 6:
Debbie› When you ladies that are still working on yours finish the first long side then you just repeat for the opposite side

(Chele posted pic of her work in progress)

‹Debbie› That is just lovely Chele. So bright and cheerful!

??
this really is a quilt-in-a-day isn't it Debbie?
‹lin› love it!!

‹Debbie› Yes just a few hours really

‹sandra› very cool Chele
‹foxxigrani› Love It and thank you Chele for posting.
‹Debbie› Yes thank you
‹mimisharon› That's terrific Chele, you do good work
‹Debbie› I need to do bright colors more. Mine usually are pastels or fall colors
‹revathi› it is very cute.
‹lilaleigha› beautiful Chele!!!!! How fun
‹sandra› very cool Chele
‹foxxigrani› Love It and thank you Chele for posting.
Sew on binding
??
‹Chele› Debbie, do you ever quilt the center square?

‹Debbie› I don't but you could

‹Chele› LOL, First time I've quilted something and I've already become an overachiever!

‹Debbie› Mine haven't been pieced so you probably should do some quilting on it

‹Ruth Camp› You could do an appliqué, in center

‹Debbie› Yes you could Ruth. Anything goes

‹lin› the possibilities for this are many!

??
had trouble finding the site that the class was being held on and then had to go. Wish someone would let me know how to get on to the sewing site. Thanks

‹mimisharon› http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/45/2764.page

‹ mimisharon› it will ask you to log in or register, Please DO register and become a member of our wonderful sharing group

So hope y'all enjoy, I have pictures, but they wouldn't load tonight
Sharon
Old 10-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

Thank You Debbie and Sharon :D :D :D I really enjoyed the class and learning how to QAYG :D :D :D
Old 10-31-2007, 06:11 PM
lin

Thanks for all the work you put into this mimisharon! I'm sure Debbie appreciated all your help! :) I can't wait for the next class. That was so much fun.

You did a fantastic job organizing and hosting this class Debbie. Thank you so much! You know you're going to be getting requests for more classes now don't you? :wink: :-)
Old 10-31-2007, 07:34 PM

:? :?: :roll: Ok, I don't Understand HOW Do you quilt/sew the back batting and the square with the strips onto it all in one at one time?? Do you turn under the edges like a hem?? Or leave it raw edge but the pics don't look it, How do you sew it all at once, I've never done it and would Love to try it!! HELP!!!! Quilt Tex
Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

Place the backing fabric wrong side up, next is the batting. Place the fabric square on the batting on point. The strips go onto the square, right side to right side, as you work your way out, you will not have any raw edges this way. If you follow the instructions, you will keep adding strips the width of the block (or previous strip,) all the way to the end of the batting/backing fabric.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the transcript..... This is a keeper !!!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 05:59 AM

I'm not able to participate in a class right now (computer at home crashed) but thank you for posting all of this information enabling me to participate too.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the written destructions, :P , I copied and put it in a document , I have never done that before.... :? So now I have it anytime I want to look at it...
I appreciate all your work on this....tlcquiltnut :)
Old 11-01-2007, 04:24 PM

:wink: Thanks so much Amma,I didn't understand until you explained it . I do want to Thank You All!! Since this is the first time I've heard of this method I'm going to try it and Love it!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 05:46 PM

I just wanted to take a minute and thank Debbie and Mimi for all their hard work. I haven't heard of this either and was devastated when I couldn't be a part of the class. Thank you so much for the transcript. It's already in a document ready for me to start.

Thanks again!!

Melissa