Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Class - Dec 2 2007 - Machine Stitched Hexagons >

Class - Dec 2 2007 - Machine Stitched Hexagons

Class - Dec 2 2007 - Machine Stitched Hexagons

Old 12-08-2007, 02:10 PM
bj

Patrice and Diamonds...I don't know how to make the bookmarks thing work either, but I opened up this thread and went up to my favorites tab and added it there. Exited out of quilting board and got back to this thread through favorites if you want to try that.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:37 PM

I would definitely be interested in buying fabric with the design!
Also, since I wasn't here for the class & only have the printed pics, is there anything else printed on the lesson - possibly cutting guideline?
Looking forward to the class in January - hope I'm here. Since we are busy with our jam & jelly business spring-summer-fall, winter is the only time we get to travel.
Hugs,
Terry in NY
Old 12-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

send me a pm about the fabric and we'll see if we can figure that out. i don't have an online store ... yet ... but am shooting for having one up by around the end of january.

follow this link to the orginal announcement for the class.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/3318.page

the file has templates you can use to make a 12" block. you could also use them to make something larger ... just keep going with hexagons, then use the partial templates if you want straight edges and square corners for whatever you make.

there are several different ways to cut fabric into hexagons but you still have to mark them by hand with lines or corner dots if you want to guarantee accuracy when you sew. i'm way too lazy to do that. i print mine directly on the back of the fabric then cut them out. sometimes i use a ruler and rotary cutter, sometimes i cut piles with scissors while i watch tv or sit in a waiting room somewhere.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:27 PM

I just picked up the quilted papadise nesletter. Alittle late but never-the-less not missed.
Where did you get the chai design? I want to make some judaica quilting but can' seem to find the right pattern.
carol :lol:
Old 12-08-2007, 05:58 PM

Hi folks, It was a really fun and informative class, thank you so much Patrice :P
Re Bookmarking, If when you click on "Bookmark It" all you get is a little box That doesn't expand, you can still use it to bookmark. Hold the curser of the mouse inside the blue box, do a left click, Press enter, you should get a message that says bookmark saved. Then when you want to find the item you have bookmarked go to the top of any page and click on my bookmarks. Hope this helps some, cheers
Old 12-09-2007, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ceegee
I just picked up the quilted papadise nesletter. Alittle late but never-the-less not missed.
Where did you get the chai design? I want to make some judaica quilting but can' seem to find the right pattern.
carol :lol:
the motif combining the chai, magen david and galut are my own design. i "made" the chai by manipulating one of my hebrew fonts in corel draw.

there are very few judaic quilt patterns available anywhere. menorahs and dreidels and Stars of David are about it. the same goes for most of the fabrics. there's quite a bit more out there for needlepoint and embroidery. a lot of it could be easily adapted for a quilt pattern.

my "someday" line of designs will include judaic quilt patterns. but ... "someday" doesn't help you much now, does it? :lol:

here are a few sites i've stumbled across in my own searches for inspiration. the third is actually a list of links.

http://www.cheryllynchquilts.com/patterns.htm
http://ebiz.netopia.com/dreidelcrafts/jewishquiltsupplies/
http://www.pomegranateguild.org/favlinks.php

Old 12-09-2007, 05:36 PM

I am so impressed by the clear illustrations and directions for the hexagon pattern. Thanks so much for the extra tips to make it work.

I have done one "Grandmother's Flower Garden" pattern and it was so very difficult that I ended up making a throw pillow and letting it go at that. If I had only known some of these tricks, I would gladly have finished a whole quilt.

Can someone show me a link that explains how to upload photos? I have a few that need to be uploaded and then I can ask for suggestions on how to finish a quilt I have started for my grandson. I have no certain pattern, just random blocks to make a theme.

Holiday greetings to all, :)

Grammer
Old 12-09-2007, 08:18 PM

:D Thanks for the instractions.....
I really like to try it someday....
The best part is that I can read the letters....how great ...
Old 12-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Instructions for posting photos can be found here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/429.page

we can't wait to see! :P
Old 12-10-2007, 07:45 AM

Thank you so much. I don't have corel draw but I downloaded some free site that ;ooks like it. Would the "EQ' software be able to do the same thing that you do in corel draw does? :lol:
helen