Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Derwent Inktense Pencils on Fabric Tutorial

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    so these pens only come in 3 colors?
    if you look on this web page I have included here, and scroll down, you will see that they come in sets of 6, 12, 24, 36 or 72 and also you can purchase individual pencils. '

http://www.dickblick.com/products/de...tense-pencils/

Some of the sets are also availabe at Michael's, Amazon, Hobby Lobby and I am sure at other art supply stores and online. :-D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    so these pens only come in 3 colors?
    if you look on this web page I have included here, and scroll down, you will see that they come in sets of 6, 12, 24, 36 or 72 and also you can purchase individual pencils. '

http://www.dickblick.com/products/de...tense-pencils/

Some of the sets are also availabe at Michael's, Amazon, Hobby Lobby and I am sure at other art supply stores and online. :-D
    the pencils do, but the gel roller pens for fabric apparently only come in blue, black and red!

Is that correct? That is all I have found anywhere anyway!

I've only found those three colors.

The Pentel gel roller for fabric pen worked better for adding the tangle patterns to my Zentangle leaf than the Sakura Micron Pigma pens. The ink flowed with just the lightest touch. The Pigma pens are "more scratchy." However, the Pigma pens will work.

Sounds like a very doable project. thank you :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Jane, my daisy is coming along. Will try to post an update photo tomorrow before my fun begins. I am having an injection in my right eye. Sounds like fun, huh?

One thing I tried last night was brushing water on a blue Inktense pencil to make a light blue wash to look like the sky. It worked very well. :thumbup: I have a lot to learn! But, having fun in the process. :thumbup:

SewExtreme.
    I'm glad you are keeping up updated about your daisy.
    Is your injection for macular degeneration? We have two friends who do this, too.

Jane

Blog Entries
    Hi Jane, just came back from the eye injection... not bad at all. PTL No, I have branch retinol vein occlusion.

I was concerned that my vision would be blurry after the injection but it isn't, so I will get to continue working on my daisy. Yippeee!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Wow nice. I have got to try this,

I just read...

Use the outliner pencil to create outlines of your design to prevent your colors from running into one another. It is permanent, even when water is applied.

I haven't tried this with water. I'm doubting but hopeful.

Blog Entries
    Here is the progress of my daisy. Yes, when I touched a well wetted brush to my colored pencil and applied it to the cloth it did run a bit. However, I think it added some shading to the daisy.

I added color to the center but it still isn't where I want it to be, so will have to play with it somemore. It is a learning experience so I am not too concerned about possibly ruining it. :-D

PS: I have been referring to this flower as my daisy but it is a sunflower from my garden... silly me!

colored print out of original pic & coloring with pencils
    Name:  Attachment-236939.jpe
Views: 689
Size:  43.0 KB

2nd step of adding color to flower and blue wash to background
    Name:  Attachment-236940.jpe
Views: 731
Size:  35.8 KB

Regarding the outliner pencil that is included with some of the Inktense sets... the line drawn with this pencil did not prevent colors from running into each other on fabric. It may do this on paper, however.

Linda, it's good to try techniques. I colored and then added water to the background of an iris, and it didn't turn out dark enough. So I will have to work on that again. You might need to do that to your background, too, depending on the look you want. I usually like full color saturation...no white fabric showing unless it is supposed to be white.

I love the Loew Cornell brushes for this technique. I bought a set of four from Michaels for use on fabric, but Michaels doesn't carry that brand now. The Art Minds brand Michael's sells is not quite as stiff as I like for this technique. I ordered individual brushes from Dharma Trading Company to add more sizes to my original set.

Order the Loew Cornell flat and round fabric painting brushes from Dharma.
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3260-AA.shtml

The flat brushes 2, 4, 6, and 8 and the round brushes 10/0, 5/0, 0, and 2 are the ones that I prefer for the work I am doing.

Here is what Dharma says about Brushes For Fabric Painting:

Fabric painting brushes need to be stiffer, so you can press the paint into the fabric. Fabric paints have to be pressed down into the fabric as they are painted on. If you just lay a bead or layer on the surface, it will not grip the fibers and therefore will flake or chip off.

Silk Brushes vs. Fabric Brushes
    Silk brushes are soft and soak up large amounts of dye. They are used for filling in areas and watercolor painting. Fabric brushes are stiffer than silk brushes, which helps to force paint or dye into the weave of fabric.

Loew Cornell Fabric Painting Brushes - Flat http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...s_brushes.html
    Name:  Attachment-253156.jpe
Views: 827
Size:  30.8 KB

Loew Cornell Fabric Painting Brushes - Round http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...s_brushes.html
    Name:  Attachment-253157.jpe
Views: 986
Size:  39.1 KB

Even though the description for these brushes is about using fabric paint, I need this kind of brush to push the gel into the fiber. The softer bristles just don't do the job.

Blog Entries
    Last night I tossed my yellow daisy piece into the wash with some clothes. Every bit of color held tight!

I have been following your directions, Jane, with the aloe vera gel and heat setting it. :-D

Linda, I've discovered that you don't need to heat set these, but now I know they will go through the wash. Thanks for running that test. Just be sure they are fully dry before washing off the gel. I just wash my pieces with my finger tips in a 9 x 13 cake pan and 2" of water.

Of course, with pressing cloths (muslin) on both sides you can iron the ink dry after applying the gel and after washing off the gel. That way you can proceed faster with your project.

This is the color chart from the Derwent company for the Inktense pencils.

http://www.pencils.co.uk/files/produ...__affvvnbg.pdf

Blog Entries
    On my daisy, three times I went through the process of coloring, applying the gel, let dry and then washed with my fingers in a shallow dish. I was adding more details and depth of color each time.

With summertime it was easy to put them on the deck rail and let them air dry thoroughly. Since I hadn't done any sandwiching/quilting with it I just thought I would experiment. I am very thankful to know now.

This week I colored some blank areas on black and white fabric. When I applied gel, it sorta ran/bled. It added to my design but I figure I must have forgotten something. Do you know why it bled? :shock:

Linda, I don't know why it bled. It hasn't happened to me.

Was the fabric damp? Did you go outside the colored area? Was it on a flat horizontal surface? Did the ink from the colored pencil run or was it the black on the original fabric? Did you prewash the fabric...maybe the sizing did not let the gel absorb into the fabric?

Blog Entries
    Oh! LOL I painted aloe gel outside the line. Silly me. Must have had my mind elsewhere... Thanks, Jane. :-D

If you are interested in using this technique on artist trading cards, bookmarks, or doorhangers (I haven't done one of these yet, but kids might like to make them), go to this topic on the website:

Quilted Artist Trading Cards
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-140406-1.htm

Artist Trading Cards
    Name:  Attachment-255417.jpe
Views: 5219
Size:  175.5 KB