Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Dog's Breakfast Scrap quilt directions

Dog's Breakfast Scrap quilt directions

Here are the directions to the scrap quilt I posted earlier in the pictures section:

Cut your scraps into one of the following 3 sizes:
    2 ½” square – combine 3 to make shape “A”
    2 ½” x 3 ½” strip- combine 2 to make shape “B”
    2 ½” x 6 ½” strip – this is shape “C”

Combine shapes A, B, C in any combination to make a 6 ½”square.(Three of any shape will make a square, so you could do three A’s , an A and two B’s , a C and two A’s etc, whatever you like)
    Make as many squares as you wish.
    The quilt I made used 110 squares ( I actually kept sewing these squares, tossing them into a basket. When I counted them I had 220 so I decided to make 2 scrap quilts using 110 each)
    Lay the squares out as follows:
    8 per row x 9 rows (72 squares) – when you lay the squares out, rotate them, i.e. one horizontal, one vertical.
    Sew the squares into rows, then sew the rows together.Centre panel completed.
    The remaining squares will make the outside borders.
    Sew 2 rows of 8 (top and bottom outside border). I sewed these all horizontally.(16 squares used)
    Sew 2 rows of 9 (side outside borders). I sewed these all vertically.(18 squares used)
    Cut 2 sashings of a solid colour for sides equivalent to length of 9 squares. Sew one sashing to each side of centre panel. Attach pieced side outside borders.

Sew a 2 ½” x 6 ½” strip of solid colour to each end of top outside borders.Sew your last 4 remaining squares to each end of both strips. This makes the top and bottom border pieces.
    Sew this pieced top and bottom border pieces on.

I started out just cutting scraps into the three sizes, whenever I felt like doing something that didn't require a lot of attention or time. I threw them into a basket. When I felt like sewing a little bit, or when I didn't want to concentrate a lot, I would make pairs, then triples (where needed) or squares. Tossing the completed squares into a basket, I decided one day to look at the whole mess and "do something with them" so that's when I figured out how I would lay them out.

When I picked out squares for the borders, I used only squares that were comprised of only shape "B" but that was a personal choice, not a requirement.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Attached Images Attached Images
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Thank you so much for sharing your directions. The quilt caught my eye immediately, and I thought I had it figured out. I tried to make it far more complicated than your directions did!

This is one quilt which is definitely moving to the top of my "I Want to Do This" list. I have a couple of baskets and a few boxes of fabric which will really make a nice quilt.
    Sometimes I try to act "normal," but it gets boring so I just go back to being myself.

Blog Entries
    thanks for taking time to share the pattern
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I like , thanks for sharing I need to do my scraps.

Those black border stripes really make the quilt.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I really like this quilt, going to print out the directions.

Power Poster
    I think this would make a good group project. Give the sizes and then ask for all blues blocks or greens etc. and then combine all the blocks in a charity quilts.

Thanks, GEMRM, for taking the time to post this pattern. This is right up my alley. When I first started quilting, all my quilts were coordinated and as much as I loved them, I am still "a scrappy" at heart. Since I have tons of 2.5" strips that I continue to add to the boxes, I think this is a perfect "leader ender" for me. I really like the way you used the black to frame this, too.

Looks great. Thanks for the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I think this would make a good group project. Give the sizes and then ask for all blues blocks or greens etc. and then combine all the blocks in a charity quilts.
    That is a great idea!
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Great scrappy! The name is too funny. My knitting mentor, Elizabeth Zimmermann, used to use that term for how multicolored yarns knit up!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I omitted the size - this quilt finishes at approximately 62 inches x 68 inches if you use 110 squares and 2 1/2 inch sashing as I did.

Thanks for posting! I love this. Has to remind me of Yellow Brick Road--never have done that quilt but it always appeals to me when I see one.