Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Easy Dresden Tool tutorial >

Easy Dresden Tool tutorial

Easy Dresden Tool tutorial

Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Hope I'm supposed to list the tutorial here since it's on-line. I fell in love with a member's dresden quilt a few weeks ago and ordered myself a tool. Got it today, and found this great tutorial: http://www.designsbyloftcreations.co...-tutorial.html

I had one of them "ah ha" moments when I saw it. :)

Trina
The only thing I will add to that tut., is to make your 'plates' in quarter circles, and check to be sure the edges are at the 'right angle' (90 degree angle, for this, I use a square ruler) on a ruler, before sewing into half circle, then whole circles. I check for the 180 degree of the half. Trim as needed to get the right measurement. You will never see the little adjustment, if you need to make one, by doing it this way. (I use a long ruler here)before I put the whole plate together, saves you from frogging as often as possible. (I hate frogging! Rippit! Rippit! :lol: )
Old 06-21-2011, 02:15 PM

I am making the spokes from scraps as I go. I love the Dresden Plate!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Love that tool. So easy to make the Dresden fan blades with it! Wonder why it took me so long to get started.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Hope I'm supposed to list the tutorial here since it's on-line. I fell in love with a member's dresden quilt a few weeks ago and ordered myself a tool. Got it today, and found this great tutorial: http://www.designsbyloftcreations.co...-tutorial.html

Trina
There is also a great tute on this at the Missouri Star Quilt Company. The tute is on You tube. After I saw it, I bought the ruler and have gone wild on Dresden plates. froggyintexas
Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM

Trina
Thank you. Bought the templat at the Chicago International Quilt Show 3 yrs ago and it is still in the package. Now I will try it.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:13 PM

This is a great tute! I have also cut out the blades using cardboard to get my points exact and even. And this way they are all the same width. Looks very professional. :thumbup:
A neighbor gave me this pattern made from fabric, was so difficult I put it away for about a year. After seeing the tute on You Tube I'm making Dresden Plates all the time!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 PM

My very first quilt was a Dresden Plate (as seen in my Avatar). I had cut my own templates from the pattern in the book and that was not easy!!! Nothing about that quilt was easy, but I learned so much. Then I didn't know how to fit it in my sewing machine except to do some stitch in the ditch. :oops: So I hand-quilted it, it took me a year.

I want to make another one so it is on my list of quilts to make. This information was great and I will use it for sure! Thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM

A friend recently gave me a "Purple Thang" and I have yet to use it. Thanks for the tut. Now I just might use it!! LOL
Old 06-22-2011, 02:59 AM

Thanks for showing this. I have one of those tools and am looking for a pattern to get back to quilting.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 AM

I have this tool, awesome. I have made 3 quilts using the tool, it is so easy I can't seem to quit making them :-D