Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Easy, no waste Granny Square block tutorial >

Easy, no waste Granny Square block tutorial

Easy, no waste Granny Square block tutorial

Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 AM

Yes, thank you for simplifying this for us. I love the look. And I, too, didn't like the way the other ones wasted so much fabric.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:09 AM

I missed this tutorial the first time around, but am very glad I saw it this time. I have wanted to make this quilt for a long time, but just wasn't going to do it the way it was set up. Your way of looking at the pattern is a lot better than the original blocks, although it does require a bit more planning up front. Thanks for the tutorial.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
Okay, so I've sewn all the main 9P's and the secondary 9P's, it's time to put the setting triangles on and sew the rows. I started in the top left corner. I sewed a background color (white), the green to complete that block, and another white together. Then center a white on top of the green, it should be about 1/4" over on both sides...[ATTACH=CONFIG]573776[/ATTACH]

For the side setting triangles, sew as shown (a picture is worth 1,000 words!)... you are completing the 1st block in rows 1 and 2, then 2 and 3, 3 and 4 and so on... I did each setting triangle as I was ready to sew the whole row so that I didn't get confused. You will also need to make one for the each row on the right side as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]573775[/ATTACH]

Then I sewed the corner setting triangle and the first diagonal row together...[ATTACH=CONFIG]573777[/ATTACH]

Keep adding diagonal rows...[ATTACH=CONFIG]573778[/ATTACH] and you will see the pattern emerging.

There will be a small amount of waste when you have all your rows sewn together as you will square up the entire quilt. But, it will be much less than squaring up each block as the traditional way calls for. When squaring up, use your ruler and line each colored point up on the 1/4" line, you want to trim so that you have 1/4" for the seam allowance. You will only be trimming off the outer white squares. You may add a border at this point or simply baste, quilt and bind it with no border. I haven't decided if I will add a border or not, I'll see what I think when it is all put together.

I would like to finish the top this weekend and get it ready to quilt. I'll probably be big stitch quilting this, but am going to try something different than my usual straight lines.

Enjoy, and if something isn't clear, feel free to comment...I will check frequently and update if needed.
Thank you for this great tutorial. I know it took some time to do this but a lot of quilters will be making this quilt, thanks to you. I have always wanted to make it but didn't like the all the waste from the original instructions. I surely appreciate you doing this.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:53 PM

Thank you for sharing. put in bucket list.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

What a great tutorial, Faintly. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2018, 12:00 PM

Just realized there is not a pic of the finished quilt! Here you are...Thanks for all the kind words.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]592523[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails granny-square-resize.jpg  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

That came out great!
Old 04-09-2018, 09:15 PM

Your quilt is beautiful and I love it without borders. Has anyone made this quilt using 2 1/2 inch squares? I have both sizes but more of the 2 1/2 inch ones, debating on which one to use.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:37 AM

GeeGee, I am about to make one with 2.5" squares. I think it would look great whichever size you choose!
Old 04-10-2018, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
GeeGee, I am about to make one with 2.5" squares. I think it would look great whichever size you choose!
Thanks, I think I will go with the 2 1/2.