Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Boxes with French Seams Tutorial

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
    Linda you did a great job! Now, just a thought, what do You do with the pieces you cut off????
    Thank you, Jennifer!

Great question! Since they are green I am planning to raw edge applique them to a background in the form of a Christmas tree. I may then decorate it and send it to my Mom.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I love it! Could you sew the cut off sections together and make a pointed top for the box?
    Last edited by diamondee; 12-03-2013 at 07:06 PM.
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

I took several to my guild's show and tell tonight. They were really loved. Several people asked to see them and how to do it. Great tutorial.

Blog Entries
    "Could you sew the cut off sections together and make a pointed top for the box?"
    Diamondee, You probably could or you could leave the tips of the corners up instead of tacking them down. Just about anything is possible.

Pilgrim, WoW, pretty cool.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
    Linda you did a great job! Now, just a thought, what do You do with the pieces you cut off????
    I love the french seams and I can tell the box would hold it's shape better then the other way I have done them! Great tutorial!

My thought with the left over corner it would make a great top/lid for a pocket on a outside purse gosh it is already quilted.

That's awesome. I love the way it looks. Definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing!
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Great tutorial, love your box.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

Thanks for the great tutorial. I am going to try this with my next box. So far I have really enjoyed making these boxes courtesy of this awesome board's tutorials and pictures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caroloto View Post
    I love the french seams and I can tell the box would hold it's shape better then the other way I have done them! Great tutorial!

My thought with the left over corner it would make a great top/lid for a pocket on a outside purse gosh it is already quilted.
    Thank you. Note on standing up. On my example I used 1/4" polyester batting... it is too thin and does not stand up well. It might be strong enough for a shorter box. That is why my batting of choice currently is warm and natural. However, I do plan to experiment with others.

Linda

Looks great and reduces bulk inside.
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work.

Blog Entries
    I made a few fabric boxes before doing this and now will be excited to try out this one. How pretty to sit a tall vase inside or fat candle, silk flowers, etc. Gosh...the list goes on and on...gee...even little undies or such for the 18 inch AG dolls would look cute on the shelf in this fabric box. Maybe ponytail decorative things. etc etc etc

Thanks so much for this idea. gotta try it.

hugs to you and yours

Vickey S.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wordpaintervs View Post
    I made a few fabric boxes before doing this and now will be excited to try out this one. How pretty to sit a tall vase inside or fat candle, silk flowers, etc. Gosh...the list goes on and on...gee...even little undies or such for the 18 inch AG dolls would look cute on the shelf in this fabric box. Maybe ponytail decorative things. etc etc etc

Thanks Vickey, now you have my wheels spinning with ideas.

Thanks so much for this idea. gotta try it.

hugs to you and yours

Vickey S.

Thanks Vickey, now you have my wheels spinning!

Linda

Looks great! Thanks for the tute!

Nice tutorial. I have made soft boxes where I cut the shape before turning and quilting, then all I had to do was stitch the edges together. Since I like hand sewing, I stitched them by hand and there was no bulk on inside or outside. I don't have a camera so I can't show a picture.
    GeeGee

I have my fat quarters and scraps picked out to make several of these boxes for Christmas gifts. I am just not sure what size to cut the squares. I don't want tall and skinny boxes. I want good square proportioned boxes. Your French seems will give them nice structure. Thanks a bunch for your great tutorial!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
    I have my fat quarters and scraps picked out to make several of these boxes for Christmas gifts. I am just not sure what size to cut the squares. I don't want tall and skinny boxes. I want good square proportioned boxes. Your French seems will give them nice structure. Thanks a bunch for your great tutorial!
    You might try making a 12" square. You could experiment by basting a 2" corner and see what that gives you. If I had made 2" corners on my 15" square, my box would have been shorter and wider. IMHO that box would be more desirable to fill with goodies like cookies, candies and such.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    You might try making a 12" square. You could experiment by basting a 2" corner and see what that gives you. If I had made 2" corners on my 15" square, my box would have been shorter and wider. IMHO that box would be more desirable to fill with goodies like cookies, candies and such.
    Thank you for your suggestion and insight. I am making a 12" one right now! Merry Christmas!

amh
    Excellent tutorial. I have looked at these boxes often and thought I should make one. Now I'm going to. Your instructions are so clear.

Thank you.
    Aileen
    Saskatoon SK Canada

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amh View Post
    Excellent tutorial. I have looked at these boxes often and thought I should make one. Now I'm going to. Your instructions are so clear.

Thank you.
    You are welcome. I hope you will post photos when you are done.

Linda

I sewed up a box from the 15 inch square. It did turn out nice. Just have to sew on the buttons. Has anyone done one that will fit a wine bottle, this one will be perfect for sweets as a gift. The tutorial is fantastic, you did a great job explaining and I do like the french seams, it gives it lots of sturdiness!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judylg View Post
    I sewed up a box from the 15 inch square. It did turn out nice. Just have to sew on the buttons. Has anyone done one that will fit a wine bottle, this one will be perfect for sweets as a gift. The tutorial is fantastic, you did a great job explaining and I do like the french seams, it gives it lots of sturdiness!
    Thank you Judy. Not sure how far in you made your corner seam but on mine (which is tall and slender) I did 3" corners. Maybe if you experiment with a 2.5" to 3" corner with a basting stitch until you find which one fits best around a wine bottle. Hope it works for you.

Linda

It is late and I am looking at the one I did tonight, I have even sewed on the buttons, which is saying a lot for me. I was thinking if it were smaller than the 3 inches, wouldnt it be more boxy, rather than tall and slender. I have to think about this before I try another one, least of all calculation of a size to tuck a wine bottle into. Thanks again.

This would look nice too, in a bathroom with that extra roll of toilet paper in it, too.

Blog Entries
    It is late and I am looking at the one I did tonight, I have even sewed on the buttons, which is saying a lot for me. I was thinking if it were smaller than the 3 inches, wouldnt it be more boxy, rather than tall and slender. I have to think about this before I try another one, least of all calculation of a size to tuck a wine bottle into. Thanks again.
    On making one for a specific item it might be a good idea to play with pinning the seam to see what happens. To answer our question, yes, the smaller the corner measurement the boxier the box it would be. In order to wrap around a wine bottle you might also need to make your square a little bigger. Try using tissue paper and pins to see how much larger you would need to make it. I don't think you would have to go much larger but 15" might not be quite enough.

An added note: when you measure from the corner to 3" in, the length of that line that you sew becomes the height of your box.

I hope you will post a photo when you get it worked out. Please post a photo of the one you do have finished. Everyone always loves seeing them.

Linda

Blog Entries
    This would look nice too, in a bathroom with that extra roll of toilet paper in it, too.
    You have the fabric box bug!

Linda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast