Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Figuring out Color

I saw a 'gray rain' sort of fabric somewhere. Maybe on Fabrics.com or ThousandsOfBolts.com and search by color. Here's one: Sku #: 2045, Color: Grey, Fabric: Cotton,
    Price: $8.25/yd at www.manhattanfabrics.com/search.cgi.
    There's a Michael Miller fabric called 'Fairy Frost Silver' at fabrics.com, or 'Graceful Geisha Bamboo Stripes,' or 'Stonehenge Light Grey,' or 'Rainy Days & Mondays Cloudy Day'... all sort of rainy looking. Wouldn't you just know it - I found a couple I'd like to get myself. But until fabric.com learns to fold fabric and pack boxes neatly, as it used to do before just recently, I won't order there. You should see the mess I got from them the other day!

Blog Entries
    I had a nice package from them last month. Only problem was that some of the colors weren't what I thought they would be.

Funny I look for grey fabric and couldn't find a thing and you found everything.

Thank you so much for looking.

TK, I found some more 'grey rain' fabrics for you:

South Seas Imports Wild Horses
    http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/inde...11&ParentCat=3

Hoffman fabrics Blue Christmas group has a gray mottled fabric that could be seen as 'rainy'.

I want to see your block when you finish it!

Blog Entries
    it's an appliqued geisha panel 9 by 29 that I want to extend out to 32 by 54 to make a window quilt. It is one of a series of three. The one I am starting with she is holding a parasol and has her other hand reaching out. That's what made me think of rain or snow.

thanks for the links I'm going to check them out.

But right now I'm gathering up the fabrics for a naval career memories quilt for my dad. He's excited and so am I. So far I've found the naval seal. Now I'm waiting on him to find his dd214 so I can gather up the rest of his stuff.

I don't like most quilts used by the color wheel. I like to use my own choices. I like matchy, matchy starting to make scrappy quilts just using colors I like or a mix of different colors. I give most of my quilts away, my choice of colors, my choice of patterns, so far everyone loves them.

Blog Entries
    Those are great links!!! Thank you for sharing them, I like to know where I can find different fabrics for landscape quilts :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Absolutely. Since I really want to head toward doing art quilts the landscaping fabrics are really important.

Thank you for the tutorial! I printed it out and will refer to it frequently. Heidi

Blog Entries
    thanks Heidi, I'm glad I could be of help.

That reminds me... some time ago through AsAMom.com I found out about a group in Arizona requesting memory blocks for soldiers lost in Afghanistan/Iraq. I made one in memory of the grandson of a friend of mine, but by the time I found out where to send it, it was already finished. Maybe we should do something like that here. I made one red-white-blue one, and one with camouflage-type colors. What do you think?

Blog Entries
    I'm really new to quilting. I would write a post just like the one you wrote here and put it in main. See how many people are interested and what there input would be.

What is done with the quilt after it is made? does it go to a military hospital or to a local military organization to be raffled?

I know when I offered to make dad a Naval Career Memorial Wall Hanging he got really excited.

I believe they said that one was going to a wounded soldier in a military hospital, or would be raffled off to raise funds for 'Care' packages for servicemen. Was so miffed that it had ended before I could get my squares in, that I sort of 'deleted' it from memory. There is a big VA hospital in Houston, and a huge military hospital complex at Brook Army Medical Base in San Antonio, where they have a burn treatment center, as well as rehab. I'm sure there are many returning soldiers there who would appreciate a quilt.

Do we (the QB) have a "rule" about raffling or things like that? We'd need to get advice on that first.

Blog Entries
    I should have pm'ed you. This is really off topic lol.

The Lone Star State by way of the Hoosier State
    Thanks TK! Very valuable information, especially for newbies.

thank you I will have to print it out and mull it over!I have always placed my colors side by side to see if they go well and are pleasing or not but it might be a good Idea if I learned the grown up way!

Thanks tk for this great information. I'm a "real" beginner quilter and have a lot of problems with color. After turning in many circles, I had the lady at the quilt shop help me pick out my colors for my 1st ever quilt. I still have to finish it with borders, binding, quilting, etc. I'm going to print your postings so I can refer to them when needed. Very good info!
    CherylR

Blog Entries
    Hi tk. I thought you might like to see my finished 'blue' project.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-40079-3.htm case you've forgotten, you can scroll down over 3/4s of the way to see the fabrics I used.

Here's a pic of the finished quilt. Sorry it's not a very good photo but it will give you an idea of how the quilt looks.

I've Got the Blues
    Name:  Attachment-82351.jpe
Views: 42
Size:  89.4 KB

ranger, I think your quilt looks great! Perfect for a "blue" lover!

Once again, a demonstration of the generosity of the members here. Thank you for this tutorial, for all the time and effort you put into it. Without you all, where would the likes of me be???

WOW, Beautiful colors. You did a great job.

Blog Entries
    I want to thank tk again for her help. Also thanks again to Tracy at fiberbabble for her inspiration and help.

http://fiberbabble.blogspot.com/2009...-your-set.html

Blog Entries
    thank you, I have bookmark it and I know I will be reading over and over. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Feathers
    TK: THANK YOU...I have so much trouble with colors and usually struggle mightily in selection. You narration will really help me. I appreciate your time and effort in putting all of this together for all of us "color-tarded" quilters.
    I love that term, "color-tarded". That's what I am - I always wondered. The descriptions here in this tutorial is great - it gives me more insight.

Quote Originally Posted by soniboo
    ranger, I think your quilt looks great! Perfect for a "blue" lover!
    Beautiful - I think blue is my favorite color - and I have always toyed with the idea of making a monochromatic blue quilt. To see yours here in the picture is spurring me on to try it. Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast