Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Folded Dahlia >

Folded Dahlia

Folded Dahlia

Old 07-22-2011, 07:48 AM

This looks like so much fun. Preparation time might be a little time consuming but would make great pillows. Thanks so much for you great tutorial. :thumbup:
Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 PM

I have made a few of these they all look great, to stand the rigors of use and laundering I also "tacked" a few stitches at the base of each fold, I also top stitched around about 1/2 inch from the last fold, this not only looks good but also holds everything firmly in place.

I also cut my strips 6" x 3 1/2" and then folded over 1/2 inch to make them 6 x 3 it gives a much neater finish,
Old 07-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson
I have made a few of these they all look great, to stand the rigors of use and laundering I also "tacked" a few stitches at the base of each fold, I also top stitched around about 1/2 inch from the last fold, this not only looks good but also holds everything firmly in place.

I also cut my strips 6" x 3 1/2" and then folded over 1/2 inch to make them 6 x 3 it gives a much neater finish,
I didn't think about that, will have to try it... :thumbup:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 PM

I have not been on this site in about 4 months, I just saw your folded dalia in red, it is beautiful and the tutorial was excellent. What are the finished deminsions of the dalia? How would you finish the edges? What is this used for? Quilt center?
thank you for answering my questions.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson

Thank you Carol, I'm going to give your measurements a try. I think it will make it less bulky. :thumbup:
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 AM

Hi, I tried this yesterday using 6x3" strips, have to go think about where it is you are folding down 1/2". Hard to get them all into the center! Mine need a yoyo or button to cover how they don't meet at the center!

I can see where the 6" sqs. would be quite bulky!

I made alot of mistakes and did alot of UNSEWING! What were they? Well, first I sewed the first 2 stacks down wrong side UP...duh, pix show right side UP! Then I rearranged the fabrics, but missed one stack, had to unsew that one! One I layered upside down & had to UNSEW and relayer! I finally got it and it's fabulous! Altho CONTRAST is important in showing the star pattern. I used a set of Asian fabs I had which is pretty but could use more definition.

There's another folded star that is quite fun to make also!

I'll try to post pix.

Thanks for the fun of this!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 AM

I want to make a few of these for Christmas gifts. Would love to see your picture.

Also, do you know where we can find the folded star pattern? Everybody loves stars I think.

About 2 posts above us, it was suggested to make the cuts at 6 x 31/2 to help close the gap. I haven't had time to try it yet, but will use those measurements when I do.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:00 PM

This is the website for the folded star...easy & fun to make!

Important to pay attention to contrast so star stands out.

http://bronzewombat.blogspot.com/200...patchwork.html

I found I could not print it out from the webpage & had to copy/paste it into an email to myself & some others who wanted it.

Pix to follow!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:20 PM

OK here's my pix of the FOLDED DAHLIA & the 2 FOLDED STARS I did...I ran short of fabric in the star and had to reverse the order of the red & the print...this arrangement did not highlight the star shape as in the other.

The 2 stars I did a pillow turn as I hate doing binding & attached a ribbon to hang. Did the same on the dahlia but am not happy how my circle turned out...still trying to decide what to do with it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-262665.jpe   attachment-262666.jpe   attachment-262667.jpe  
Old 09-27-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by BATIKQLTR
I want to make a few of these for Christmas gifts. Would love to see your picture.

Also, do you know where we can find the folded star pattern? Everybody loves stars I think.

About 2 posts above us, it was suggested to make the cuts at 6 x 31/2 to help close the gap. I haven't had time to try it yet, but will use those measurements when I do.
If you look on here under search there is a method I think a guy did and it's has a red dahlia and the instructions are really easy to follow; try that.