Small Gathered Bag
Cut
Band: 4 ½ x 16 — 2 from fabric 2 from heavy weight fusible interfacing
Bag: 20 x 36 — 1 from fabric and 1 light weight interfacing
Lining: 16 x 26 —1 from fabric and 1 fusible fleece
Pocket: 10 ½ x 16 — 1 from fabric
Pocket fusible fleece: 5 x 16—cut 1
Handles: 2 ½ x WOF — cut in half to create 2 handle pieces
Binding: 2 ½ x WOF (you’ll only need about 18 inches)
Loop for button: 1 ½ x 9 inches
Bows: 5 ½ x 11 inches — cut 2 from fabric
Bow loops: 2 ½ x 4½ — cut 2
Handles: Cut from 1 inch cording 2—13 inch lengths

Step One: Fuse band interfacing to band pieces making sure that you fuse to wrong side of
fabric. Fuse lining to fleece and bag to interfacing making sure you fuse to wrong side of
fabric.

Step Two: fold pocket in half lengthwise and iron. Using the folded line place fusible fleece
along mark and fuse in place making sure that fleece is fused to wrong side of fabric.

Step Three: Fold bow loops in half lengthwise and sew ¼ inch and turn right side out. Roll
seam to middle and press flat. Fold loop in half making sure the seam is folded to the inside
of the loop. Sew across the raw edge a 1/4 inch. Set aside.

Step Four: Fold handle fabric in half right sides together and sew 4 ¾ from one end and
then sew 4¾ from other end leaving an opening in the middle. Turn right side out. Position
seam to center and press flat. This way the seam will be hidden when sewn onto the band.

Step Five: Fold band fabric in half and press a marking line down center. Open back up and
fold right edge of fabric to center and press a marking line. Repeat on left side. Do this toboth band sections.

Step Six: Place the sewn portion of the handles over the outer lines you’ve just marked on band
fabric. Pin in place. Measuring from bottom of band on the handle mark at 2 ½ inches. When
you sew stop at that mark and sew across handle backstitching across a few times to add depth
and strength.

Step Seven: Sew bow loops on front band piece at the bottom on top of the handles just sewn
onto the band.

Step Eight: Sew a gathering stitch long both sides of the bag fabric starting about an inch from
each end and stopping about an inch before on both ends. Tie a knot on one end and gather to fit
band. Pin bag to band right sides together and sew in place . Seam allowance for this portion
is ½ inch

Step Nine: Sew side seams—seam allowance is a ½. Using a pencil or pen mark on
inside of bag a square 2 ½ inches from bottom and sides. Do this on both corners and
on both sides of bag.

Step Ten: Open bag side to form a point in
the bottom corner. Match up the lines from
the squares and sew across line. Trim off
tip of the bag about ½ inch from stitched
line. Repeat on other side of bag.
Now sew a gathering stitch close to but not
on the seam running down the side of the
bag, do not sew gathering stitch into band
portion. Gather side seams leaving one end
untied to adjust when you put lining into the
bag.

Step Eleven: Fold lining in half fabric facing out. Measure from bottom of bag about 5 inches
Mark a line across in either pencil or pen. Pin pocket piece raw edges facing toward the top of
the bag. Sew across 1/4 inch. Fold up and press. Mark 2½ inches on both sides of pocket
and in center. Stitch along those lines to form pockets.

Step Twelve: Fold lining right sides together and sew side seams—seam allowance is a 1/4 inch.
Repeat step nine drawing a 2½ inch square on wrong side of fabric on both corners and on both
sides of the lining. Next you will box the corners as was done to the bag, but you will not need a
gathering stitch for the lining.

Step Thirteen: Turn bag right side out and fit lining into bag. Make sure that lining fits properly and
tie off gathering threads on inside of bag. Pin lining to bag and sew around top—seam allowance
is ½ inch. I like to place the pocket side of the lining on the backside of the bag but either way is
fine.

Step Fourteen: Almost done! Sew button loop on the outside, center back of band. Fold binding in half lengthwise and iron. Then fold one side of binding in half lengthwise to the fold, and iron. Pin the unfolded side binding on inside of bag. Be sure to fold over the raw end piece. Sew binding in place. Fold binding over the top of bag and pin in place and sew down make sure that button loop is not caught up in binding when sewing.

Step Fifteen: Take a bow fold in half right sides together and sew from one side to the other leaving an opening along the bottom of bow big enough to turn inside out. Press. Repeat with second bow. Fold in half and press. Sew a gathering seam down the center pressed line. Gather bows, insert bows into bow loops. Tack down loops and tack down the corners of the bow. Mark position for button on front of bag and sew in place. If you want you can make a covered board to place in the bottom of bag. Measure and cut from cardboard, either sew a sleeve to fit or glue fabric onto cardboard bottom.

Step Sixteen: Insert cording into handles and blind stitch opening closed.

Instructions to print
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108583[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-108578.pdf (51.1 KB, 286 views)
Old 10-23-2010, 10:08 PM

Do you have a pic of the bag?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by annette1952
I do it's on my other computer however and my daughter is using that one at the moment. here is a link to the thread that shows a picture of it.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-71709-1.htm
Old 10-24-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by annette1952
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109568.jpe   attachment-109587.jpe   attachment-109588.jpe  
Old 10-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Love those bags. Thanks for the tute.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 AM

I love your bag, Kristen. Thanks for the tute, I am hoping to try to tackle it soon.

What material did you use for the band in your bags? They look awesome!

Also, can you give me an example of the interfacing, the heavy and light weight? I am new to this whole thing, and want to make sure I am getting the right thing. :oops:
Old 10-24-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by candi
I love your bag, Kristen. Thanks for the tute, I am hoping to try to tackle it soon.

Also, can you give me an example of the interfacing, the heavy and light weight? I am new to this whole thing, and want to make sure I am getting the right thing. :oops:
Candi - I used burlap for the band on this bag but you can use just about any fabric you like.

For the interfacing the heavy weight iron on kind that I use is bought from Wal-Mart I believe its called Decorator interfacing something like that (its $3.97 a yard and is 46 inches wide so you get a lot for that price) and the light weight is a sheer or light interfacing.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 AM

Thank you!

Originally Posted by kristen0112
Originally Posted by candi

Candi - I used burlap for the band on this bag but you can use just about any fabric you like.

For the interfacing the heavy weight iron on kind that I use is bought from Wal-Mart I believe its called Decorator interfacing something like that (its $3.97 a yard and is 46 inches wide so you get a lot for that price) and the light weight is a sheer or light interfacing.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:15 AM

Love your bags....they are really nice!! :-D
Old 10-26-2010, 05:14 AM

Love your bags. Thank you so much for the tute.