Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heavy duty design wall

Blog Entries

Heavy duty design wall

I purchased, several years ago, the largest "collapsable" design wall I could find, and found it terribly frustrating. Pieces would not stay on the flannel...it was wobbly, flimsy, etc......so for the past 2+ years I have used my floor as the design wall. Needless to say, this was not optimum, but certainly was better than what I had.

Fast forward to a visit with my neighbor, and spied her design wall (she does small quilts and wall hangings)....She had a strip of powder coated metal 6 feet long by 2.5 inches wide fastened to her wall with dry wall screws.....very un-obtrusive. She had heavy duty magnets that were shaped like push pins ( from KJM Magnets ) that held her batting to the metal........When I oohed and ached....,she said if I wanted one, she would get her husband to do it for me!!

I wanted a metal strip 120" long ( I make king and queen sized quilts mainly ) mounted at the top of the wall, abutting the ceiling. Ron provided website for the magnets (delivered day after I ordered them) and showed up to install the metal strip. (Metal strip is pre-drilled every 6", and comes in various lengths...sold by Lowes, Home Depot,. etc.)

Since I was in a hurry to start using it, I opened a package of the Dream Green batting, and fastened it up to the bar with my new magnets ( I got 18 so I could hang something heavy on the 120 inch width)....and started adding my units........the fabric sticks to this batting just like it had been sprayed with 505!! I had 11 rows of 12 pieces each row up on this, re-arranging, and not one piece fell off!!

Since I had this mounted at the top of the wall, when the batting, etc is off, you do not even notice the bar! Since Ron had said how strong the magnets were (warning to keep away from computerized machines, cell phones, credit cards, etc)...I tried hanging a full size finished quilt........and it stayed up with no sagging!!! So I can use this to "hang" a quilt to decorate my sewing room when I am not using it as a design wall.

After reading a post that said chenille squares would not stay up on member's design wall, I thought I would post this...........This one will hold just about anything if you have a sufficient number of the magnets......and with their shape, they are easy to remove as well.

Blog Entries
    Great idea! Even though the metal strip is unobtrusive, you could paint it to match your wall.
    I also used a 'design floor' and was amazed at how much better my quilts were when I finally got a vertical display. I do a lot of scrappy quilts and it makes it much easier to distribute the colors.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I am in an apt so I couldn't use that but it works for you, that is terrific. I still use the 1" insulation covered with flannel. It has worked for me for over 15 years.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I love this idea - Does the batting just hang from one bar at the top?

Blog Entries
    What a great idea!!! Thank you for sharing.

Please post a picture or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I am in an apt so I couldn't use that but it works for you, that is terrific. I still use the 1" insulation covered with flannel. It has worked for me for over 15 years.
    I use insulation board too, but I really link the idea of magnetic push pins. Do they just hold the batting? And the pieces are held to the batting with 505?
    Design. Make. Collaborate.

Blog Entries
    a picture would help

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I use the same. If things are a bit heavy or the a/c blows them off, I just stick a pin in them. I've made 2 of them and can put them side by side if I need a larger space. When not being used, they can be stored one in the front of the other or one can go in the other room. I've also used mine for nearly 15 years.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Could you please post a pic? thanks!

Blog Entries
    Great idea! And for display, easy to change out the quilt!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    this is what I have and love it!!
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    Great idea, except I don't have a free wall of any size!
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Good for you! I love the design wall my DH made! Makes me happy just walking in and seeing it! What did I do without it?? Enjoy yours!!

I'll see if I can get a pic and get it to post this weekend. I haven't had good luck posting pics here so we'll see.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Thanks for sharing! I'm working on my sewing room in our new house, so it is the right time for me to add something like this.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

It sounds like a great idea and I'm designing my sewing room in a new location. This is the best idea I've seen that will work well in my space. I went to KJMmagnetics web site. Can you tell me which size you bought? Thanks

Lin

I like this idea. I have a large wall that I could use. Currently, I have my 72" x 72" portable design wall hanging on said wall. My husband suggested using the largest of the Command Strip Hooks to hang it from and it is working. However, I also work on king size quilts, but right now I have one small and one lap size project on it and it is too small.

It sounds like I need to try this out. thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
    I like this idea. I have a large wall that I could use. Currently, I have my 72" x 72" portable design wall hanging on said wall. My husband suggested using the largest of the Command Strip Hooks to hang it from and it is working. However, I also work on king size quilts, but right now I have one small and one lap size project on it and it is too small.

It sounds like I need to try this out. thanks,
    I also use Command Hooks to hang my design wall, but would like a larger one. I like the idea Shorebird is using. Can you elaborate what magnets you are using and where they can be purchased?
    Thank you,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
    I love this idea - Does the batting just hang from one bar at the top?
    YES...I attach the batting to the metal strip with heavy duty magnets that are like push pins.....from KJM Magnets.........and let it hang to the floor.

Blog Entries
    The magnets hold the dream green batting to the wall......and the batting is such that the fabric sticks to it just as if it WERE sprayed with 505..........(but nothing other than batting, held in place with the magnets)......

Blog Entries
    Very interesting I look forward to seeing a picture

Blog Entries
    Great Idea. Heavy duty magnets are hard to come by. Please provide your source if you remember it. We would love a pic if you could of the design wall. Thanks

I love the metal strip on the wall, what a great idea!

Could you give me a product # for the magnets. I found the push pin magnets on KJM magnets but there are many to choose from. Also, is the batting you use cotton or polyester.
    Thank you so much for this idea. I currently use the insulation boards covered with a flannel backed table cloth. Works great but think this idea would work better.
    Fran

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast