Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
How to draw a perfect Octagon.. >

How to draw a perfect Octagon..

How to draw a perfect Octagon..

Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 AM

I had barely started quilting yrs ago when I made several miniatures.
SC was the Queen of miniatures,doing wonderful work. Wonder if it's the same person?

Originally Posted by Queen Mary
I just bought two books by Sally Collins about making perfect pieced quilt blocks. "The Art of Machine Piecing" and "Drafting for the Creative Quilter" Yes Math. Her method is very detailed and allows so many combinations of after constructing a grid and connecting various cross points. I am just getting into it, but the designs are limitless. Her Piecing book is a wonderful narrative to read. Check your library or Amazon.com.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:57 PM

It is the same lady. She talks about the small quilts in the first book I bought. Her emphasis is making the effort to cut and sew exactly to make everything work as intended. I still have difficulty with getting quarter inch seams to result in the right size blocks. I do a really scant seam to get there.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 AM

Her work was way beyond what I had the time/interest in doing.Good luck in getting it to work for you.

Originally Posted by Queen Mary
It is the same lady. She talks about the small quilts in the first book I bought. Her emphasis is making the effort to cut and sew exactly to make everything work as intended. I still have difficulty with getting quarter inch seams to result in the right size blocks. I do a really scant seam to get there.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 PM

Wow! I loved that tutorial. I was wondering how you did that when I saw your lovely table toppers. So easy, yet I never would have thought of doing it that way. Easy peasy and I love itl
Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 AM

Now doesn't that just make it easy as pie! Someone else baking the pie, however easy as pie! lol

TreeFrog
Old 03-13-2011, 12:55 PM

Thank you so much for this. I would never have thought there was a tutorial on it. silly me
Old 03-14-2011, 03:48 PM

Did you know that if you take two squares and line the first one up with a horizontal line on your cutting mat, then take the second one and line it up on a vertical line , on top of the first one--you will have 4 points from each square sticking out--cut off those extra points from each layer--- two octagons.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
Did you know that if you take two squares and line the first one up with a horizontal line on your cutting mat, then take the second one and line it up on a vertical line , on top of the first one--you will have 4 points from each square sticking out--cut off those extra points from each layer--- two octagons.
While we have the math wizards on this thread , is there an easy way like this to do hexagons for grandmothers garden without using a template?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 PM

Thank you for this tut , it makes it so much faster making
Octagons now :D :thumbup:
Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by pdunn56
Originally Posted by ewecansew
While we have the math wizards on this thread , is there an easy way like this to do hexagons for grandmothers garden without using a template?
Sure, just follow the octagon instructions in making the circle but instead of folding the half circle two times more, just fold the "half moon" into even thirds. Then cut off the arcs just like the instructions for the octagon.

Voila! a hexagon!!!!!