Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
How to make cool ties and helmet coolers >

How to make cool ties and helmet coolers

How to make cool ties and helmet coolers

Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 PM

You are the BOMB Mimi!! I'm sure you probably made some of these for your Marine's..HUH?? I'm gonna try and make some up because my son's Unit is going back again in November I believe. He's not going though, he's getting medically discharged.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Do you know if these can be frozen?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Yes they can be frozen. My dad keeps his in the freezer then when he goes to mow the yard he sets it out to use to cool off.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:11 PM

OMG! I am off to buy water crystal right now!! My husband gets so hot on fire scenes that he would love this!! He has several store bought ones and I just never thought that I could make him some. Thanks!!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

mimi, I have been making sand scarfs, cool ties for our troops for 4 yrs now but . . . never knew about the helmit coolers. thanks much. my son in law is deploying in sept and I will get busy on these as well! thanks! the casual quilter on the board just sent me a box of sand scarf last week! they will be on their way to Afghanastan next month with another box of scarfs, cool ties and now a load of KISSES too!
cherrio
Old 08-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by cherrio
mimi, I have been making sand scarfs, cool ties for our troops for 4 yrs now but . . . never knew about the helmit coolers. thanks much. my son in law is deploying in sept and I will get busy on these as well! thanks! the casual quilter on the board just sent me a box of sand scarf last week! they will be on their way to Afghanastan next month with another box of scarfs, cool ties and now a load of KISSES too!
cherrio
I'm so glad that you have found the kisses and are able to help keep our guys cool. I'm still 1,000 behind. One unit needs 1,200 so I'm working hard but so behind. Our chapter just ordered 55 lbs from the WaterSorb company directly, much cheaper and more crystals. I'll be up to my neck in cooler this coming week.
Hugs,
Sharon
Old 08-20-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by allbright
OMG! I am off to buy water crystal right now!! My husband gets so hot on fire scenes that he would love this!! He has several store bought ones and I just never thought that I could make him some. Thanks!!
You are very welcome, when I finish the ones for 1/6 I'll be working on some for our gate guard Marines and then 3/6 will be leaving. I have what you call job security. :lol: But it's something I can do to help them so it's important to me!
Hugs
Old 09-30-2011, 04:34 AM

I needed to come back and check the instructions.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:16 PM

i have to tell you what I did with this idea. Was headed to retreat 14 of us.. and 3 of us made cool ties for each of us.. Then I made a kidney shaped one using a fat quarter and filled it with water sorb and after soaking it you can put it in the microwave... much better than the rice bags... and when I told my SIL she said I'd like a pillow... Pillow I said... she said yes she had seen a discovery show about sleeping better if the brain is cooled down so I folded a FQ in half sewed columns in and put about 1 tsp in each column and now we both have them and not only sleep better... HOT FLASHES!!! it stopped the Hot Flashes!!! it works so good that when my husband put it in a different place I almost woke him up to find out where it was!!! I now have 2 one to dry the fabric out .. the pillow last about a week... Love the idea thanks for posting!!!
judy
Yes, one more thing..have a friend with a spinal injury and gave him one of my pillows while he was visiting here and we put it in the freezer for just 10 minutes and he kept that on his lower back for hours... I think they would be great for babies with a temp...
Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by BeeNana
Hello everyone. I wanted to share a story with you.
I was so excited to be able to make coolers for Mimisharon.
♥ I have sent some to her. It was a great feeling to pack them, knowing they are going to help the troops.
When I was buying fabric to make them I was at the cutting counter and the manager and helper were asking me what I was going to do with this beige fabric. So I told her about this project and where the coolers were going. The lady behind me gave me a $10 bill. I almost fell over. I explained to her that it wasn’t necessary and she insisted telling me she has had family in the service. I thanked her and told her she was a blessing to this project of giving.
♥ Just wanted to share that this act of kindness brought joy.

Just as you have been a blessing to many troops over the last few months! The lady will never know how much the troops like your efforts!!