Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
How to make Fabric Bowls >

How to make Fabric Bowls

How to make Fabric Bowls

Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 PM

I have a bowl started but don't know how to finish, so it will have the sides. Been fun so far!!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers
Originally Posted by Eddie
I like to finish the cord off on the top edge by cutting it on a diagonal right before the handle so that it is not so obvious and then just zig zag over the end a few times to secure it down.

That's it! Enjoy!
Eddie: Great tutorial. I'll be going to our nearest WalMart today and will purchase the cording and by tonight I'll be in the wrapped cord bowl making business. I've made cloth bowls before but used fabric templates and surged the seams on the bottom and sides and around the tops of the bowls. Your bowl will be a nice change of pace.

Are you a teacher? Your instructions are excellent as are your pictures. If you aren't a teacher, maybe teaching is something to think about. You obviously are a born teacher. Thank you.

I don't know about your Wally World, but ours do not carry skeins of clothesline any more. They now sell it on plastic frames (see picture below).

I love using batiks (or batik like prints). I make placemats out of scraps (i.e., multicolored). Sometimes I get fancy and put loops all around the outside edge. Pix below.

Nita in MI

Not the best picture taker - batik bowl
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233447[/ATTACH]

Place mat with loops around edge - scrappy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233448[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233440.jpe   attachment-233441.jpe   attachment-233442.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 06:27 PM

Very nice items! I can't wait to do one.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 PM

Thanks - it's the only crafty thing I do, otherwise I quilt.

Nita in MI
Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
Isnt this information from a book Its A Wrap? Looks the same to me. The book is a good investment with many ideas and variations.
Yes, she has two books out - It's a Wrap and It's a Wrap II - think her last name is Breier and she really gets fancy, with lids and lots of embellishments.

I also saw one lady who made flowers. Will try to find pix.

This is one of two flowers I've made. Need lots more practice to get petals same size.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233562[/ATTACH]

Made by vendor at a quilt show. Picture taken with her permission.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233564[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233556.jpe   attachment-233557.jpe   attachment-233558.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:40 PM

I agree with Eddie - just use a regular presser foot.

Nita in MI
Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
I never found real cheap clothesline but I did find our Dollar General had it for around 3 dollars. My big bowl has used 200 feet and I am now wrapping the 3rd roll but that will be it. My fingers hurt so bad from rolling the fabric around the clothesline for long periods of time. It's not going to be pretty like Eddie's but it is going to be big!
That is going to be one humongous bowl!!! What are you going to use it for? I know what you mean about your fingers hurting. I've got arthritis and sometimes I just have to quit and rest my hands. At times I've wrapped so much fabric that I've gotten blisters. You know when you're addicted when you get blisters!!! :-)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lmj1126
Thanks Eddie! now I know what to do with all the large print scraps form my interior decorator friends! Lynn
That would be a great use for deco fabrics.
\
Nita in MI
Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by luvngy
it looks like you are using a regular zig zag. Can you use a three step zig zag as well? Racheal
I'm not Eddie, but have made lots and lots and lots of these bowls and I prefer the plain zigzag. I think it holds the rope tighter together. Makes the bowl stiffer, more sturdy, I think.

Nita in MI
Old 07-29-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
............ The strips are cut on a bias and are 3/4 inch wide. ................ I then cut my bias strips so that the chisel ends were all facing the same direction as shown below.
I've never cut my strips on the bias. In my mind I think that's more work than it's worth. I cut them on the cross grain - some stretch a little more than others, some not at all - like batiks, but as long as I start wrapping them on an angle, it works out well. It takes me 2 hours to wrap 100 feet. I only use glue sticks - purple, turns clear when it dries and spread it on the first inch or so of the strip and then again on the last inch or so of the strip - so far have not had any trouble with any coming undone - unless, of course, I do something really stupid. :oops:

Nita in MI