Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Ladder Stitch for Binding >

Ladder Stitch for Binding

Ladder Stitch for Binding

Old 06-10-2010, 03:03 PM

This is also the stitch I use for hand applique! Just use tiny little stitches. Looks like a running stitch on the back of the background!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by applique
This is also the stitch I use for hand applique! Just use tiny little stitches. Looks like a running stitch on the back of the background!
Me too! I've been doing some Dresden Plate blocks and it works like a charm! I've even repaired clothing and furniture with this stitch. :D
Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 AM

Just took a quilt to my quilter yesterday - now I will use your method of binding when I get it back. Had not seen this tutorial before, so thank you very much!!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:56 AM

I don't know. I tried this stitch instead of my regular blind stitch on a quilt binding and it came loose. I know I did it right but it sure didn't hold for me. I went back to my blind stitch
Old 06-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I don't know. I tried this stitch instead of my regular blind stitch on a quilt binding and it came loose. I know I did it right but it sure didn't hold for me. I went back to my blind stitch
Did you use quilting thread? Reg. thread isn't strong enough. Sorry it didn't work for you.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:43 PM

I've been using this for applique for a long time - taught this method at my guild and most people caught on to the method quickly. Even demo'd it using red thread to applique pastel pink to white and no one could see the red thread (on the right side at least!) Do use it for binding, but do like to pin and don't have the "ladders" as long as in the photos.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 PM

Super!!! - best pics I've seen of this technique

tfs

Judy
Old 06-22-2010, 04:44 AM

I don't remember what this stitch was called in the 1950's when I was in high school, but it is how we were taught to hem a garment.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW
Originally Posted by bstanbro
I'm not exactly getting this. So is the stitching between the quilt and the binding so that it doesn't come to the top of the binding? It's the "invisible" part that's throwing me off. It seems that this would end up looking like hand quilting stitches. Please enlighten me.
Your first stitch is parallel to the stitching that was used to put your binding on. It goes between the backing and the front.

When you go to the left to make your stitch in the binding, it goes between the two layers of fabric in the binding. Then the next stitch is the same as the first, etc. After you have made two or three ladders and you pull your thread, the stitches won't show because they are between layers of fabric.

I used blue thread to help you see it better. Once the ladders are pulled you can see why it's invisible as the blue thread doesn't show up in the green binding.

Hope this helps!
I wasn't getting it either until I saw this- It is no nice that everybody here is so supportive and helpful. I don't think anybody would ever say you over stepped. :) Thanks to both of you who just made binding my quilts easier. It has become a chore for me. Not anymore!!!!