Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My Carpenter's Star Pattern

Thank you for sharing that pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by Martina
    Thank you for sharing that pattern!
    Thank you for the envelope! :lol:

danmar,

Thanks for doing this. Love the colors, would make a nice baby quilt. I had been looking for this pattern. Found one on a the web site (thequiltedforest.com). Actually found two, one was named The Understudy and the other was named Center Stage. Center Stage finished size is 24" x 24" and the Understudy finished size is 16" x 16". These are Pieced Tree Patterns, they are called Tiny Ones, they they are laminated on a 3" x 5" card, with the picture on one side and the instructions on the back. Sell for $3 each. The Carpenters Star was what I was really looking for, so thanks again.

Thank you for the pattern,

thank you for posting the pattern it is very pretty. Sure does take alot of small blocks to make such a gorgeous quilt block. I would love to see the whole quilt when it is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Loralee
    thank you for posting the pattern it is very pretty. Sure does take alot of small blocks to make such a gorgeous quilt block. I would love to see the whole quilt when it is finished.
    I have already made 2 full quilts out of this block.
    I made my daughter one 100" x 114" in all colors. Here's a link to the post on it. It was beautiful!!!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38337-1.htm
    While I was finishing hers, I was commissioned to make one for a woman with a fabric store that didn't sew!!!! (Can you believe that? She does now and has taken up quilting, thanks to me.) :o) Here's a link to hers.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38346-1.htm

They are beautiful!
    Marilyn

Both of the quilts are gorgeous. I will take a picture of the Lancaster Rose one I made some years ago.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Marilyn....that certainly looks simple enough!!! Thanks for sharing it!

Thank you so much for sharing your pattern instructions.

Like your directions, but with each square being 2" doesn't this finish to a 16" block rather than 12"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen charnell
    Like your directions, but with each square being 2" doesn't this finish to a 16" block rather than 12"?
    Hi Kathleen,

No, I start with a 2" square or a 2" HQT (after sewing), so that makes them 1.5" after your 1/4" seams. It finishes at 12".
    Marilyn

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tute, Marilyn. I have admired your avatar since I joined this group. I think by enlarging the block, it would make a perfect wallhanging above my bed to go with the Storm at Sea quilt which is my avatar. If my math is correct, by starting with 4" blocks which would finish to 3.5", I would end up with a 28" block, which would be a great size for a wallhanging. Might have to move this to the top of my To Do list.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyG
    Thanks for the tute, Marilyn. I have admired your avatar since I joined this group. I think by enlarging the block, it would make a perfect wallhanging above my bed to go with the Storm at Sea quilt which is my avatar. If my math is correct, by starting with 4" blocks which would finish to 3.5", I would end up with a 28" block, which would be a great size for a wallhanging. Might have to move this to the top of my To Do list.
    Hi Judy!

You are quite welcome. I like your avatar too. I think the two of them will go well together. I think the 4" blocks would work great to make your 28" wall hanging. Post pictures when you get it finished! I'd love to see it.

Marilyn

Blog Entries
    I made one with 2" and 4" and they both turned out very nice. I too appreciate the tute...Thanks Marilyn. I think we are all having fun trying out your pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by Calico Grammy
    I made one with 2" and 4" and they both turned out very nice. I too appreciate the tute...Thanks Marilyn. I think we are all having fun trying out your pattern!
    Hi Calico!
    Thank you so much! I am glad that you had fun making them. You should post pictures of the ones you made. I'd love to see them.
    Marilyn

Blog Entries
    Okay, Marilyn, I did it. Just finished the block and decided to show you. When I first finished it, I thought, Gee I wonder why I don't like it as much as I like Marilyn's. Then I realized I had the fourth row in upside down. What a difference it made when I turned it around. Now I love it. I will put a couple of borders on it and it will look great hanging above my bed.

Thanks for the tutorial. It worked great. It didn't end up at 28" like I originally planned because I goofed when I cut the fabric, so it finished at 24, but that's okay. I like the size and think it will be just right when I get the borders on.

Carpenter Star Block
    Name:  Attachment-52391.jpe
Views: 288
Size:  35.4 KB

Okay, Marilyn, I did it. Just finished the block and decided to show you. When I first finished it, I thought, Gee I wonder why I don't like it as much as I like Marilyn's. Then I realized I had the fourth row in upside down. What a difference it made when I turned it around. Now I love it. I will put a couple of borders on it and it will look great hanging above my bed.

Thanks for the tutorial. It worked great. It didn't end up at 28" like I originally planned because I goofed when I cut the fabric, so it finished at 24, but that's okay. I like the size and think it will be just right when I get the borders on.
    Hi Judy! I love it too!!! I think the Carpenter's Star is the most beautiful block there is. I am so glad that you posted the picture of it and that you love it too! Thank you!!!

Marilyn

Banned
    Blog Entries
    you do such beautiful work, thank you so much for sharing with us. God bless. Penny

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tute.

Thank you everybody. I appreciate your comments, compliments and interest in my quilts.
    Marilyn

Has anyone done the math to make this in a 40" square and added borders to make it about 50 x 50? If someone can figure out the size of the cut squares please let me know.
    Debi

Blog Entries
    To end up with a block that is 40" finished, the individual blocks would have to be 5 inches finished, 5-1/2 inches unfinished.

Using Marilyn's numbers, instead of 2" squares, you would need 5.5" squares. Instead of 2-3/8" squares, use 6" squares. To make the half square triangle blocks, I would start with 6" squares and trim them down after sewing the diagonal stitching. Then to make it 50x50, you would need to add 5" of borders. I would use one small border (say 1.5")and one larger border (say 3.5")

Perfect! Just what I was looking for.

Blog Entries
    wow.. you guys, sorry GALS are so smart..(got in trouble for saying guys once) and you're talented too!

I love this block.. I saw it one other time and could not remember the name.. Thank you for showing them. The blocks are just beautiful..

It would be fun to see a large one block quilt, with a matching border of the smaller blocks.. now that could be a stunner!

Marilyn, you're daughter's quilt is just wonderful. I know she will treasure it the rest of her life. Thanks for the tute!

Hi, I am new to this site and to quilting. I love this pattern and a big thank you for posting it. I think even I will be able to follow this. One question tho, how long and how many times did it take to get this pattern drawn? I would love to be able to do that. :thumbup:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast