Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My Way of Handquilting

Such beautiful work. You are indeed an artist! Thanks for sharing.

What a beautiful place to quilt! How lovely! And such gorgeous quilting! I like hand quilting, but I can't get my stitches small enough. Maybe one stitch at a time would be the answer.

Your stitching is exquisite as always. I know you have practiced your technique for a long time - haven't you?
    Oh how I wish we could have a sit down together and you show us in person. Just wonderful.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the detailed pictures! I usually go right to left, but I've noticed the different rhythm of quilting toward myself. Maybe I'll have to concentrate on doing it in that direction.

Your quilting is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Your stitching is exquisite as always. I know you have practiced your technique for a long time - haven't you?
    Oh how I wish we could have a sit down together and you show us in person. Just wonderful.
    Thank you! I have started hand quilting more than 20 years ago and because I don't piece I save a lot of time for practicing hand quilting! :)

Blog Entries
    I'm glad to see that someone else doesn't use a thimble. I have yet to find one that fits properly, is comfortable, and doesn't make me feel clumsy or claustrophobic. However, I find that if I cut the fingertips off of the clear vinyl exam gloves and slip them over my thumb and forefinger, I get a good grip on the needle. Lightweight and comfortable. When you're done sewing for the day, just throw them away. Cut more when you're ready to get back to sewing. Buying a whole box of them from Walmart, drug store, etc. is cheaper than buying them from some of catalogs. Plus, the ones in the catalogs appear to be a little bit thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Here are some pictures about my personal way of handquilting. As you can see I don't use a thimble and I only do single stitches.
    GREAT quilting and great photos.
    So how long does one like you're working on take?
    More than my lifetime, I think!

Thanks for showing us your beautiful hand quilting. i am making a gayg sampler quilt and although some of the pieces are machine pieced I am hand quilting it all. I have been struggling with stitch sizes but think it would be easier to do one stitch at a time so will give it a go. Like you I don't wear a thimble because I have really small fingers and can't get one to fit properly so it is too uncomfortable however I do find it quite painful so am always looking for new solutions.

Thanks again for showing your hand quilting method.

Blog Entries
    I'm bookmarking your post and may try handquilting one of these days using your examples. I have a quilting machine and frame, and after spending all that money, I feel kind of guilty letting it sit, but for some reason, lately I've had the urge to try handquilting. Your post may just have been what I needed to start. Thanks :)

Thats so amazing and your work is beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us

Blog Entries
    Your quilting is amazing. Perfect stitches! I have tried to hand quilt and I can only do one stitch at a time but my lines aren't anywhere as straight as yours.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Absolutely stunning stitching! A fifty years from now, your quilts will be highly sought after, and will end up in museums, and treasured heirlooms. You must have much better eyesight than I do!

Beautiful work!

Do you use stencils for your designs or do you draw them yourself? Do you use beeswax for your thread? I think we have the same quilting hoop but my stitches don't look anything like yours. I'm going to try one stitch at a time. How long does it take you to do a quilt? I've been hand quilting a double size about 2 years and just can't get moving on it.

Blog Entries
    I have a quilting machine & frame also that I don't use. Mainly because I just have not sat down & figured it all out but I love handquilting so I just keep putting off trying to figure out the quilting machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy l
    I'm bookmarking your post and may try handquilting one of these days using your examples. I have a quilting machine and frame, and after spending all that money, I feel kind of guilty letting it sit, but for some reason, lately I've had the urge to try handquilting. Your post may just have been what I needed to start. Thanks :)

Banned
    You do beautiful work. thanks for showing us how you do
    it.

Beautiful quilting, you do a great job. wish my stitches were as even as yours

I am so impressed with your work. I hand quilt as well. Doing 1 stitch at a time, what is the time in a quilt?

Blog Entries
    Your ID could not fit you better. I have never seen such exquisite quilting. I love to hand quilt but even marking mine I can't keep as straight a line as you. I will definitely try the John James needles. I do use a thimble. I never could until I started quilting. I have large hands & always had trouble finging one to fit but have found the adjustable one that works for me. Please keep posting pictures of your work. It's better than going to a museum. Is needle marking when drag the needle across the fabic where you want to quilt?

Very nice! I also do single stitches but mine don't look near as nice as yours.

Did you adapt this "one stitch quilting technique" or did someone teach you--your mother or grandmother? Do you not like the multiple stitch method that is always emphasized? is there more control with one stitch?

I am curious as others have posted on the time factor of one stitch?

Again, I really appreciate your sharing your quilting pictures.

Beautiful work..thank you for sharing your technique !!

Quote Originally Posted by LindaMRB
    GREAT quilting and great photos.
    So how long does one like you're working on take?
    More than my lifetime, I think!
    I am a very lucky person: I can quilt all day long, 6-8 hours per day. For this quilt I needed 4 months to finish - right now I am closing the edges!

Thank you for this helpful photos, especially with the hoop. I purchased a floor hoop at a tag sale for $5.00. It is an Edmonds brand & old. Then was given a handfull of others for .50 cents & a box of scraps for .25 cents, which contained a Gingher 4" round tip sissors. Wow! Again Thank You. Now I will try the hoop on bigger projects.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast