Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
The Mystery of the Scant 1/4". >

The Mystery of the Scant 1/4".

The Mystery of the Scant 1/4".

Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 AM

I measured with a very precise Incra rule ( http://www.incrementaltools.com/category_s/157.htm ). With size 50 thread and cotton quilting fabric, the thread takes up about 1/32-inch. So I get a perfect piece if I sew at 7/32, or just past the right edge of a pencil marked seam line. I fiddled with my needle and foot until I had the settings right and then marked the front of the foot. This is my New Home (Janome) F foot.

My ancient LittleFoot was letting the fabric slip all over the place.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nurse Jan View Post
How come none of those expensive quilting books mentioned this. Might explain why my blocks don't come out the right size all the time. I will try this in the morning.
That IS annoying. I bet the authors are so used to just skimping on the seam they forget that it's not really a quarter inch and that newbies could not possibly predict this. They all seem to copy the same "YMMV" disclaimer.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 PM

YMMV- does this mean "your measurement may vary"?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Do you find that the guide moves a tad while sewing two layers together. It seems that mine moves outward a tad on occasion. I bought a 2nd foot because I thought mine might be defective. But it also seems to move a tad outward. I can't live without mine and just deal with it as it really doesn't effect the outcome as the fabric isn't going under the guide and making the seam much larger, just a tad outward and you can see it and if you measure it is off a fraction.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

We see all the time how many woman sell items they thought up and they make good money. Now, one of us needs to come up with a scant 1/4" foot for many machines (Bernina please) and I promise that you will make a lot of money. Either have your husband do it or find someone who can do it and do a trial run to see how many (thousands) people will buy one or more. I guarantee you'd be able to retire!! I only wish my husband was that handy. But there are places you can go to with your ideas and they will bring them to life. Look it up online.