Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nearly Invisible Label Tutorial by Wildyard

Nearly Invisible Label Tutorial by Wildyard

Several have asked me to post how to make the nearly invisible label idea I came up with for a table topper last week, so here it is. There will be quite a few photos; I know I learn better by seeing. This is not as complex to do as it is to explain, as with so many things. LOL For the purposes of this tutorial, my backing is the yellow and my top is the blue.

Before you add binding to your quilt top, cut a piece of fabric to match your backing. I used a 3" x 4" rectangle for the table topper, but this only has room for a couple lines of information. For this tutorial, I used a 4.5" square. Choose your size based on the info you want to include, keeping in mind the larger the label, the more visible it becomes.
    Random pattern fabrics or solids work best, but directional patterns work well also, only requiring a little extra care in matching.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Fold your label in half, right sides together. Stitch across both short ends only. Turn right sides out, taking care to get the corners turned to a nice point. Press.
    You can add your label info at this point or later after it is attached. Remember the seam allowance if you do it now.

Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Thanks for posting this.
    June

Match the pattern to your backing if needed, position at edge of quilt as desired. Pin securely to prevent shifting; most important for directional fabrics and pattern matching. Stitch first edge of binding as you usually do, removing pins when you come to them.

*** I do machine stitched binding, both sides, so I start with the back then flip and sew the front binding down last. This is what I show in this tutorial. Whichever way you do your binding, just be sure the label is between the BACK of the quilt and the BACK of the binding.

Linda Wedge White

After completing first side of binding, turn quilt to the other side and fold the label back away from the backing. Fold your binding into position and pin to secure label out of the way. Stitch 2nd side of binding in your preferred way.

Linda Wedge White

If you haven't added your label information, do it now. Press the label down and there you have it! Any questions please ask here so others can share the info.

Linda Wedge White

This is a very clever idea! Thank you!

GREAT, Thanks for the tutorial. Really LOVED you ingenious idea.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Cool idea, will have to try it myself! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for showing us "how to".

It is a great idea. I usually embroider my label on the corner of the quilt prior to quilting it. I like the back right hand corner but my labels are simple just to (whoever) Love Nana or Mom....If I am selling a quilt I have a little tag that I sew into the binding with my business name. Thanks for this tutorial....I will file it away in my mind and probably use it at some time...It think it is very clever.

Great idea! Thanks for posting the photos!

Blog Entries
    Clever way to do a label. Thanks!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Now that is a great idea and I will have to try that one out myself. Thank you

Very, very nice. Thanks for the tute.

Blog Entries
    thanks for taking the time to post this tutorial
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Great and easy idea.

As a rule l want my labels to show on the back of my quilts. I came up with this idea for a table runner l wanted to give a friend and I wanted her to be able to use both sides, so I didn't want my usual type of label as it would show.

Blog Entries
    Thank you very much. Very clever!!

Blog Entries
    okay, slapped my head! no V8. just thinking how clever this is, and how wonderfully simple! like the guy who invented paper clips, you ought to get an award for this! now my tablerunners will have the info they will need 50yrs from now (if they last that long). thanks for the directions! i'm serious, this is genius! 8-)
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Awesome idea thanks for making it so easy to follow you directions.
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

Are you leaving the label loose and not stitching it to the back of the quilt. This seems like it would be bothersome to have to always be smoothing it under the table runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
    Are you leaving the label loose and not stitching it to the back of the quilt. This seems like it would be bothersome to have to always be smoothing it under the table runner.
    It is attached in the binding, and because the label is long and narrow, it stays in position with no trouble. I think if your label is larger to include more information, you might want to add a bit of velcro or something to keep the edge of the flap down, but I would wait to see if it becomes a problem first.

If you make it too big, it will defeat the purpose of being out of the way so both sides can be used as in a table runner or topper. I think if I needed a little more room to add info, I would make it longer rather than wider.
    Linda Wedge White

Good idea for reversibles! Thanks......

Awesome! Love that the label is there, but the writing is invisible unless you want to see it.
    Mary Ann

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast