Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Paper Piecing with Freezer Paper >

Paper Piecing with Freezer Paper

Paper Piecing with Freezer Paper

Old 05-09-2011, 06:11 AM

I love PP but have never tried it with freezer paper. Seems so much easier than to have to remove the paper using the traditional method. I will definitely give this a try.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:02 AM

Thank you for this tute! I love paper piecing and do it quite a lot, and will try your method on my next pp quilt.
I have always understood that the sewing on the paper while pp helps keep the fabric from stretching and distorting, and I know that the added bulk helps the piece to go between the machine foot and the feed dogs. But after saying that, there is an awful lot of ripping paper and usually quite a mess all around to clean up after you're through!
Off I go now to Amazon to buy the freezer paper!
Thanks again- I printed your tute. Used up 16 pieces of paper, which will now go into my special notebook where I have all sorts of tips, insights and tutes found here on the board :-D
Old 05-09-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by rwquilts
Rachel, at first I looked at your tute and thot that it would be great for those learning, but I didn't need it, and as I read it and realized what you were doing, I was sooo glad I read it! How cool! I am definately going to give this a try as I paper piece ALL the time and want to know for myself, which method works best for me!

Thank you for putting this together! I appreciate the work involved!
I am very interested to see how someone who has done a lot of traditional pp likes this. I only did a few projects with traditional pp before finding this method, but I already loved the difference. :) If you try it I' love to hear your thoughts!

Rachel
Old 05-09-2011, 07:10 AM

I've been pp for a while now and thought I found the method I like best (using the add a quarter ruler) but I'm willing to try this as it seems a simpler way to deal with the pattern. Also found this paper on a website that might be yours- I don't get the "(link in siggy)" reference, and was surprised to see low cost for the paper- seems better than Amazon and you get more. Reading the reviews on Amazon they say the C. Jenkins paper is heavier and would most likely go into the printer better.
(edited to say our posts must have crossed, now I see you ARE the Dewberry people)
Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 AM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

What a cool new way to paper piece without the "picking"! I was just going to try to adapt my Happy Birthday Aunt Grace wall hanging kit to Cynthia England's freezer paper method (https://englanddesign.com/content/welcome-england-design]https://englanddesign.com/content/we...england-design[/url]) which is a step better than traditional pp, but all those small pieces cut apart were scaring me! Thanks for the tute!
BTW I love your website, best of luck with it.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the tute, I have to try this one.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 AM

You say it can be used with any printer. Is it safe for laser printers? I'm concerned because of the heat lasers generate.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 AM

Bless you! I was fearful of designing a paper piecing project, but this makes it look easier! Thanks!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
You say it can be used with any printer. Is it safe for laser printers? I'm concerned because of the heat lasers generate.
That is a good point, honestly I have never used this method with a laser printer. I did some research online and found this suggestion from Sew Wonderful:

Here is what to do. Cut a sheet of freezer paper 17 inches by 11 inches (the equivalent of two regular sheets of printer paper side by side, aka ledger paper). Fold the freezer paper in half with the shiny sides facing and insert a sheet of regular paper between the waxed surfaces. If you want to prevent any shifting of the layers, use a warm iron to baste the layers together. Now feed the paper through the manual slot of your laser printer. You can print on both sides before you separate the layers for use.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!
Rachel
Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ceil
I've been pp for a while now and thought I found the method I like best (using the add a quarter ruler) but I'm willing to try this as it seems a simpler way to deal with the pattern. Also found this paper on a website that might be yours- I don't get the "(link in siggy)" reference, and was surprised to see low cost for the paper- seems better than Amazon and you get more. Reading the reviews on Amazon they say the C. Jenkins paper is heavier and would most likely go into the printer better.
(edited to say our posts must have crossed, now I see you ARE the Dewberry people)
Yes I am the owner of Dewberry Lane!! :) Sorry link in siggy means "link in signature" LOL That's what I get for trying to be clever. We do have the freezer paper sheets I showed for $6.74 right now, but I know you can find it other places too. :) Not sure of the prices elsewhere though.

Cheers!
Rachel