Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10

Thread: Paths to Better Stippling/Meandering

I'm impressed! You mastered feathers before meandering?! I've been quilting for a few years and feathering is still a challenge for me. I'm not too bad at meandering but I'm also impressed with your idea for drawing a "snake" line. I've got a quilt sandwich waiting and I'm going to use your technique to finish it. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    I saw a reference to your tutorial on FB yesterday... they posted your picture of the technique
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I'm interested to know where/who posted it, but I am happy to share. I've seen it on Pinterest numerous times too.

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I saw a reference to your tutorial on FB yesterday... they posted your picture of the technique
    Wendy

This technique is brilliant! I can't wait to try it out. I always get stuck in areas & can't get out. Thank you, thank you for this discovery!

I look forward to practicing. Thanks

Thank you for the tut...

Blog Entries
    Thank. You. So. Much! This is really going to help me!
    Si quieres paz, lucha por la justicia.

Great idea! And thanks for the drawing.

Thanks this looks like a method I can now accomplish.

Thank you so much for sharing your idea!!

Make sure that you leave little hills and valleys at the bottom of the row. That way the next row will nest into the previous and you won't see a line.
    Harriet
    https://www.facebook.com/Thelaststitch
    Handi Quilter International Educator

Blog Entries
    Brilliant! Thanks for sharing your technique. I only have done outline quilting on very small pieces, because I couldn't wrap my head around the stippling, either! So thank you! I'll try it!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm so glad I read this. I struggle with this too. And I really want to be able to do it. So now I am anxious to practice. Thank you!

Thank you! I am going to try that.

When stippling and meandering I have to keep telling myself "round corners" or just "round" to avoid a pointed spot or loop in my quilting...just another tip!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
    I figured out a technique for stippling/meandering that is working better for me, and I thought others who are struggling with this may be interested.

I've been FMQing for awhile now and feel pretty good at feathers and other designs, but stippling has baffled me from the start! Apparently I am so "Left-Brained" that I just couldn't meander... I would start out OK and then be "stuck" in no time, then I'd panic a bit, and it was over! So... I decided I was going to learn stippling no matter how much practice it took. For the past few weeks I've been following Leah Day's Wednesday quilting blog posts where she breaks down stippling into smaller components to get started.

The second week a light bulb came on for me! Leah recommends stippling in "rows", but I thought that looked a little too row-like for my taste. So I was sitting with my doodle pad and an idea came to me. "What if I draw a Very large, Very simple stipple line first (like in Leah Day's very first stippling lesson), then follow that to stitch my stippling along instead of stitching in a row!"
    Step 1. First I mark a very large snake-like, u-shaped line on the surface of the quilt with a water soluble marker. (Refer to the blue line in the following drawing.)

Step 2. Then I stitch my meandering back and forth across that line to fill the spaces as evenly as I can while doing an irregular meander. (The red line in the drawing.) This way I can ensure that I will be able to work my way around the whole quilt top without getting stuck in a dead end anywhere and I have a path to follow that doesn't look like I just followed a straight line.

I got this idea from Leah Day when she was showing how she does stippling following rows across her quilt. That looked a little too "row-like" to me, so I decided to try following a snake-like line instead and I'm much happier with the results! This was the first quilt I did stippling on and I'm thinking that after I've had some more practice, I may not have to actually draw the first line to follow if I learn to visualize it better. For now, following a curvy line takes away the stress of having to figure out which way to go next.

I'm pretty happy with how the stippling turned out on this one and will be continuing to work on it until it gets easier. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t176738.html

Hope you find this info helpful.
    WTG for thinking outside the box. Oh my goodness. I actually think I could do stippling this way. Thank you for sharing.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

I truly believe that I might get this FMQ thing under my belt with help like this.
    Thanks very much for insight and a clear tutorial.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2019 at 06:34 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I think this process will help me to quilt better...faster..
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-25-2019 at 04:46 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Thx. This looks like something even I could do, after some practice of course.

Fabulous idea!!! Thank you for being so generous with your talent.

Blog Entries
    This technique is hands down my favorite of all techniques!!! Talents need no moderating. Terrific stuff!!
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Brilliant idea. Thank you.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10