Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Birthing/Pillowcase Tutorial with pics! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/birthing-pillowcase-tutorial-pics-t143066.html)

sarahrachel 08-06-2011 07:42 AM

8 Attachment(s)
I asked if I should birth or bind a baby quilt and got quite a few comments asking what birthing was so I'm going to try to explain it. This is my first tutorial so bear with me.

I made a baby burp cloth for this, but the same thing goes for quilts. There will be 8 pics

start with the backing laying face up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237324[/ATTACH]

then lay the top face down
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237325[/ATTACH]

add the batting, all 3 layers should be the same size, but I can't measure very well,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237326[/ATTACH]

sew around the outside leaving a big enough gap to pull your quilt through. I backstitch at the beginning and the end so the stitches don't pull out. trim if you need to so it's not super thick on the edges and don't forget the corners
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237327[/ATTACH]

a close up of the gap, I don't trim near the gap so I have something to fold under and sew
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237328[/ATTACH]

reach between the quilt top and backing and find the farthest corner and pull through. Keep pulling corners or side through until the whole quilt has come through the gap. Use a chopstick or your fingers to push the corners into place so they're not cut off
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237330[/ATTACH]

the hole. Tuck the top over the batting and fold in the back and sew closed, either by hand or by machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237331[/ATTACH]

you are now ready to quilt. It's the top right corner where the hole was. I sewed the hole shut by machine and continued around the outside of the burp cloth. I hope this was helpful. any questions, just ask!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237332[/ATTACH]

cjomomma 08-06-2011 08:30 AM

Nice tut! Thank you!

MarciaN 08-06-2011 10:08 AM

Thanks for the tut, sooo, what did you do, did you birth it or bind it? Thinking this would be a good way for me to do a quick baby quilt with a panel. I am completely new to quilting but think I could do this, lol.

Marcia

sarahrachel 08-06-2011 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by MarciaN
Thanks for the tut, sooo, what did you do, did you birth it or bind it? Thinking this would be a good way for me to do a quick baby quilt with a panel. I am completely new to quilting but think I could do this, lol.

Marcia

I birthed it. It seemed more baby quilty to me that way.

Lilrain 08-06-2011 11:09 AM

how do you use this for a pillowcase?

sarahrachel 08-06-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lilrain

it's called birthing method or pillowcase method. I guess I should have been a little more clear. sorry!

Lilrain 08-06-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel

Originally Posted by Lilrain

it's called birthing method or pillowcase method. I guess I should have been a little more clear. sorry!

Oh, in this part of the country we call it enveloping a quilt.

knlsmith 08-06-2011 11:49 AM

Great tute. Thanks!

amma 08-06-2011 02:25 PM

Thank you for the tutorial :D:D:D

np3 08-06-2011 10:50 PM

Thanks!