Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Confusion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/confusion-t30920.html)

Rhonda 12-05-2009 01:13 PM

Okay now to recap here are the steps!

No foundation. Just stick the fabric under the needle and sew.

1. join 3-6 pieces per section
2. join sections together
3. Add long pieces between sections whereever
or on the sides of sections
4. Always angle seams rather than straight seams
for more interest
5. Watch out for holes in construction
6. Sew then trim for faster and easier process
7. When you have an idea of where you are going to cut
and there isn't enough fabric for a corner
Just add a piece across that part to fill in
8. Lay a template on your confusion fabric you have created
Move it around until you have found the look you like.
9. Don't lay the template so a seam lays on the edge of where
you will be cutting. That might make the seam fray apart
10 I try to avoid any square shapes in my preview. Angles are
so much more interesting.

Rhonda 12-05-2009 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Thank you for doing that so promptly. I'm thinking pillows for my MOm in law!! : :-D

You're welcome! I decided if I wait until I have everything done that I am on deadline for it would never get done! So I just took time to do it. I had most of the pictures already so it didn't take long to put together. It is very much the same as the crumb method but I think I just take it a bit farther.

I hope you post pics of what you make with it!!! Happy sewing! This is a feel good thing to do because you really don't have to any thinking just grab scraps and throw them under the needle and sew! Even crooked seams don't really matter unless they are really really crooked. But you will see in some of my examples that I have curved lines. They weren't planned!! They just happened when I got in a hurry and didn't seam it straight enough.

When you start if it is hard to sew a straight seam you can trim first and then sew. I sew first then trim. Either way works. If you need a seam guide cutting first is a good idea.

sandpat 12-05-2009 05:23 PM

Thanks Rhonda...I think I did some this way and actually called it Crumb blocks...I would sew, then cut some off and then sew it back on again in another place if I got a section that I didn't like. Great Tute!

Jim's Gem 12-05-2009 05:31 PM

Thanks Rhonda That looks like a fun way to use scraps!!

ByThePiece 12-05-2009 06:29 PM

Thanks Rhonda, you give me confidence to try it. So many cute blocks and I like calling it confusion. There are so many things I want to try, and this would be a good place to start.

Rhonda 12-05-2009 06:36 PM

Hope you enjoy the process!! I taught a 9 yr old and she used her piece to make a pillow. She entered it in the State Fair and got a gold ribbon! The judges were impressed with her pillow!

And my 10 yr old DGS Joey used this in his Doll Quilt for the kid's DQ Swap.

janRN 12-05-2009 07:04 PM

Thanks Rhonda for taking the time to explain this technique. I've added it to my list (#134 I think). This will be a good way to use up a lot of long strips I have left from trimming batting and extra fabric before binding a finished project. Thanks again.

k3n 12-06-2009 07:05 AM

Thanks Rhonda - I love that added in strip effect - will definitely use that in the next batch I make! :-D

Bevanger 12-06-2009 07:08 AM

WOW! Thanks Rhonda

Rhonda 12-06-2009 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Thanks Rhonda - I love that added in strip effect - will definitely use that in the next batch I make! :-D

The first time I did that I used a green for the long strip and it looked like a leaf(mother-in-law's tongue leaf or a corn leaf or something) that had stretched across in front of the strips. I loved the effect. I had a pic of that hotpad but that was before I got my comp and digital camera so I don't know where it went. I kept all those pics in an album but it isn't there. I love the look that the strips are actually unbroken and the long strip just lays over them. An optical illusion which is one of my fascinations.