Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Easy peasy hunter star and variations. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/easy-peasy-hunter-star-variations-t246304.html)

grandmaNicole 06-29-2014 10:06 PM

I need to try this method.
Thanks!

caroloto 06-30-2014 05:37 PM

Love it Thanks!

lmc8 07-18-2014 06:37 PM

Here's written instructions I personally authored for those who didn't understand the photos from the original post.

Hunters Star Block Construction

• Calculate desired finished block size + 1.25” to define Measurement A: _______ = block trim size.
  • Divide Measurement A by 2 to define Measure B: _______ = cut strip length & sub-block trim size.
  • Divide Measure B by 3 to define Measurement C: _______ = cut strip width size.
  • Multiply Measurement C by 2.25 to define Measurement D: _______ = square cut size of corner triangles.
  • For each sub-block, cut 3 strips of 2 light/dark fabric colors using measurements B & C.
  • Pair 2 light strips with 1 dark strip,
    & pair 2 dark strips with 1 light strip.
  • With right-sides-together, mark & sew corners as shown.
  • Trims seam allowances and press towards dark fabric.
  • With right-sides-together, pair up and sew two strips facing opposite directions.
  • Cut squares of each fabric color using Measurement D, then cut each square diagonally to obtain corner triangles.
  • Pair and sew two triangles of opposite fabric colors to sides of each strip length as shown with centers aligned.
  • Press seam allowances open & trim to Measurement B.
  • For each finished block, arrange and sew four sub-blocks together as shown.
  • Sew blocks into desired number of rows, then rows into a completed quilt top.

lmc8 07-18-2014 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what photo 3 and 4 of the original post should look like.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]483961[/ATTACH]

Tcharlie 07-19-2014 05:07 AM

Great job, if you study the photos and follow the pictures as if you are assembling the 4 squares and the sewing the 4 squares into the one makes it so easy! Thanks
Beautiful.

tessagin 07-19-2014 05:12 AM

There are a lot of Hunter's Star techniques on YouTube.

Originally Posted by maryellen2u (Post 6705233)
Is ther a place to get a tutorial or even a pattern with directions since I cannot attend the class in Nova Scotia?;)

sewmini 07-25-2014 08:15 AM

Sure would like to ear f that worked o not.

Originally Posted by midwestmarykay (Post 6706422)
I looked at the squares on the cutting board, and it looks like the strips are 2" x 5" . . . I'm going to go try it and see if it works :-)

Minnesewta-sam 07-26-2014 05:06 AM

Looks great! Isn't it funny how you come up with different ways of doing things and then find that somebody else thought of it too and put it in print. Thanks for sharing.

mountain deb 09-19-2014 04:39 PM

It is easy to see the size of each block since you laid it all out on the mat. Thanks.

wolf3349 10-14-2014 10:48 PM

I just finished up a Hunters Star --two colored--using te rapid fire ruler By Deb, It was the best investment I did. It goes so fast and everything turns out perfect. It took me 2 days to get the quilt top cut and pieced. It will fit a double bed easily. Just have to get it quilted now. I did it in grey and hot pink for my dgd for Christmas. When I get a few more ufo,s done I want to do another one 3 colored.
I have the 7 to 10 inch ruler.