Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Fabric Boxes with French Seams Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/fabric-boxes-french-seams-tutorial-t235889.html)

AnnT 12-04-2013 05:34 AM

That's awesome. I love the way it looks. Definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing!

gramquilter2 12-04-2013 07:14 AM

Great tutorial, love your box.

bibi 12-04-2013 08:39 AM

Thanks for the great tutorial. I am going to try this with my next box. So far I have really enjoyed making these boxes courtesy of this awesome board's tutorials and pictures.

SewExtremeSeams 12-04-2013 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by caroloto (Post 6437617)
I love the french seams and I can tell the box would hold it's shape better then the other way I have done them! Great tutorial!

My thought with the left over corner it would make a great top/lid for a pocket on a outside purse gosh it is already quilted.

Thank you. Note on standing up. On my example I used 1/4" polyester batting... it is too thin and does not stand up well. It might be strong enough for a shorter box. That is why my batting of choice currently is warm and natural. However, I do plan to experiment with others.

ppquilter 12-04-2013 09:33 AM

Looks great and reduces bulk inside.

wordpaintervs 12-04-2013 10:24 AM

I made a few fabric boxes before doing this and now will be excited to try out this one. How pretty to sit a tall vase inside or fat candle, silk flowers, etc. Gosh...the list goes on and on...gee...even little undies or such for the 18 inch AG dolls would look cute on the shelf in this fabric box. Maybe ponytail decorative things. etc etc etc

Thanks so much for this idea. gotta try it.

hugs to you and yours

Vickey S.

SewExtremeSeams 12-04-2013 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by wordpaintervs (Post 6438538)
I made a few fabric boxes before doing this and now will be excited to try out this one. How pretty to sit a tall vase inside or fat candle, silk flowers, etc. Gosh...the list goes on and on...gee...even little undies or such for the 18 inch AG dolls would look cute on the shelf in this fabric box. Maybe ponytail decorative things. etc etc etc

Thanks Vickey, now you have my wheels spinning with ideas.

Thanks so much for this idea. gotta try it.

hugs to you and yours

Vickey S.

Thanks Vickey, now you have my wheels spinning!

caspharm 12-04-2013 03:44 PM

Looks great! Thanks for the tute!

GeeGee 12-04-2013 09:36 PM

Nice tutorial. I have made soft boxes where I cut the shape before turning and quilting, then all I had to do was stitch the edges together. Since I like hand sewing, I stitched them by hand and there was no bulk on inside or outside. I don't have a camera so I can't show a picture.

maryellen2u 12-04-2013 11:18 PM

I have my fat quarters and scraps picked out to make several of these boxes for Christmas gifts. I am just not sure what size to cut the squares. I don't want tall and skinny boxes. I want good square proportioned boxes. Your French seems will give them nice structure. Thanks a bunch for your great tutorial!