Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   How To Baste A Quilt Using Spray Starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/how-baste-quilt-using-spray-starch-t242179.html)

copehome 03-03-2014 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter (Post 6602521)
The only spray bottle I have found that even likes the elmers / water mix without a stream is the Misto bottle, It acts like an aerosol can, only without the chemicals. As for the ratio, I use the marks on a bottled water bottle so I am not sure exactly but honestly it has to be somewhere around 1 part glue 4 parts water. The Misto bottle really makes it coat evenly and a little glue goes a long way. I HATE regular spray bottles they are way too messy for me,

My Misto bottle has been ordered & is on the way! Some "recipes" add a few drops of dishwashing soap - do you add anything to the elmers & water?

SlightlyOffQuilter 03-03-2014 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nope, I only add water and glue ! And like I said, I use somewhere around a 1 part glue to 4 parts water ratio. LOL this is my actual measurement apparatus !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465609[/ATTACH]

copehome 03-04-2014 07:08 AM

Love visuals! Thanks so much :)

sewmini 05-03-2014 12:14 PM

sure want to try this...after having a lung taken out the spray baste is very difficult to use. Which elmers glue do you gals use to dilute down and in what ways do you use it?

judy363905 05-03-2014 12:36 PM

Wonderful tips..thank you thank you...that would work wonderfully for placemats etc. :) also

Judy in Phx, AZ

Helen S 05-04-2014 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter (Post 6604096)
Yes, I would not recommend using 100 % poly batting with this method as it does require ironing. I used it on Hobbs 80/20 blend with no issue.

Just an FYI:
I did try using this method on 100% poly batting. The spray starch method does not hold on the poly batting, and when you iron it, the batting flattens. I was ok with the flattened batting as it was easier to quilt on my DSM, but sure wasted a lot of time and effort in the trial and error department. lol I'd bought the poly batting for some quilts to be donated because it was cheaper, but won't buy it again.

roseOfsharon 05-09-2014 11:59 AM

Thanks for this! I just found it on facebook! I shared to my facebook page.

SlightlyOffQuilter 05-10-2014 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Helen S (Post 6703522)
Just an FYI:
I'd bought the poly batting for some quilts to be donated because it was cheaper, but won't buy it again.

What I have been using for smaller donation quilts ( provided they do not have any white areas ) is to use the thin fleece throw blankets , you can usually pick them up for $3 or so , sometimes 3 for $5 on sale. They are about 50 x 60 in size. The nursing home residents love them because they are warm without being heavy, so they are easier to manage !

SlightlyOffQuilter 05-10-2014 12:18 PM

Should have specified, I use the blankets as batting !

kiffie2413 05-15-2014 07:31 PM

I am thrilled to find this idea!
From a gal who calls myself "Krazy Kiffie", thanks for being "slightly off quilter"! :thumbup:
K