Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   How To Baste A Quilt Using Spray Starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/how-baste-quilt-using-spray-starch-t242179.html)

sunrise450 05-16-2014 06:05 AM

What a great idea! I admit though, when the subject turned from spray starch to Elmers glue I was surprised. I'll have to try both to see which one I like most.
Where do you find the thin fleece blankets. I have used the fleece you buy by the yard for baby blankets and it has worked out very well but would prefer a lighter blanket.

heartofwisdom 05-16-2014 04:03 PM

Super helpful. Thank you for sharing. Glad you had an accidental idea.

SlightlyOffQuilter 05-18-2014 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by sunrise450 (Post 6718555)
Where do you find the thin fleece blankets. I have used the fleece you buy by the yard for baby blankets and it has worked out very well but would prefer a lighter blanket.

I find them all the time at the Family Dollar , Dollar General type stores. I also find them at our CVS in the fall as well. They are about 50 x 60 in size and usually about $3 - $5 unless on sale. I stock up on them in the end of winter when they put all the winter stuff on sale and can get them for 5 for $10 which is nice. They usually come in darker or medium colors so they are great for scrappy type quilts with not alot of white / extra light fabrics.

grocifer 05-19-2014 07:43 AM

Maybe I missed it but is the ratio of the starch to water the same as Elmer's glue to water (1 part glue to 4 parts water)?

sunrise450 05-20-2014 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter (Post 6721918)
I find them all the time at the Family Dollar , Dollar General type stores. I also find them at our CVS in the fall as well. They are about 50 x 60 in size and usually about $3 - $5 unless on sale. I stock up on them in the end of winter when they put all the winter stuff on sale and can get them for 5 for $10 which is nice. They usually come in darker or medium colors so they are great for scrappy type quilts with not alot of white / extra light fabrics.

Thanks for the information. I haven't visited our Dollar store or Family Dollar store in a few monthes. Guess I am overdue for a visit!

Swannie 05-20-2014 08:36 AM

Amazing. Why does my needle always get gummed up when I use spray starch? Does ironing make the difference?

SlightlyOffQuilter 05-21-2014 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Swannie (Post 6724273)
Amazing. Why does my needle always get gummed up when I use spray starch? Does ironing make the difference?

yes you want your fabric to be DRY when you sew it ! Spray the starch on the batting, lay your fabric over that then iron till it is completely dry !

LoisM 05-26-2014 10:29 AM

What a great tip! And I LOVE the fabric in your quilt blocks!

sniktasemaj 06-11-2014 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter (Post 6725004)
yes you want your fabric to be DRY when you sew it ! Spray the starch on the batting, lay your fabric over that then iron till it is completely dry !

I
don't know what I am doing wrong, but it does not stick at all.

Doris Magiera 06-12-2014 04:42 AM

I watched someone do this for the first time. They taped backing down, good side down, sprayed backing then placed batting on. She was able to lift and adjust as required, then she sprayed again this time on batting, then placed pieced work right side up, adjusted, let it dry, and that's all, no pressing!