Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   How I machine bind (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/how-i-machine-bind-t288233.html)

nativetexan 05-14-2017 03:37 PM

Yep, that is really good. and the way i do the end of the bindings too. works every time.

mhollifiel 05-14-2017 04:18 PM

Darren,
This is such a great tutorial. Thank you for perfecting this. I HATE binding and I can't wait to try it your way. You have likely just changed my life!
THANK YOU!

tlpa 05-15-2017 10:15 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this tutorial! And the pictures are terrific! My bindings are always sub-par, so can't wait to try your tips!

purplefiend 05-15-2017 03:34 PM

Kaye Wood shows how to do binding that way. She has a Youtube video showing how. I sew the binding to the back of the quilt first and then turn it over to the front and top stitch it down.
Sharon in Texas

Teddybear Lady 05-15-2017 08:30 PM

Thank you for sharing your technique with the pictures. I do my binding like this but have to look up how to finish the ends every time. haha

Jo Belmont 05-16-2017 08:50 AM

Thanks for the share and blessings for all the frustrations you have prevented.

minibarn 06-05-2017 08:19 PM

Great tutorial. I especially like the corner trick and the ending trick, yup will be trying both of those on my next quilt.

ckcowl 06-06-2017 03:38 AM

That is exactly the way I've always added my bindings to One side- it's then folded over to the other side and hand stitched down; that's the part I wish for tutorials- it is becoming difficult to hand stitch around a king sized quilt- fingers/ thumb cramp. Machine stitching that second side always looks terrible, ruins a beautiful quilt, or takes 10 times as long since I have to remove it all & hand stitch like I should have in the first place. Good tutorial for the first steps to binding.

quilterpurpledog 06-06-2017 04:45 AM

Very nice tutorial and the pictures are very helpful. I essentially do it the same way. After I stitch on the binding I press the binding very carefully, especially into the corners before turning it to the front side to stitch down. That really helps a lot so that the stitching is straight and in the proper place. Your discussion about mitering the corners is most clear and helpful. Thank you for your teaching on this area that seems to give lots of people lots of problems.

bearisgray 06-06-2017 11:40 AM

The only thing I have to add - for any "first" stitching of the binding -

ALWAYS stop the seam width distance away from the end.

Many books say "stop 1/4 inch from the corner" - which is fine and dandy if your seam width is 1/4 inch.

I am happy to note that you stated your seam width is 3/8 inch and that you say to stop "just shy" of 3/8 inch.

:thumbup:

My finished bindings are close to 1/2 inch wide - so I stop "a hair or so" more than 1/2 inch from the corner.