Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   I Learned Something About Mitered Corners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/i-learned-something-about-mitered-corners-t306408.html)

Watson 08-19-2019 09:36 AM

I Learned Something About Mitered Corners

1 Attachment(s)
And, maybe everyone else already knows this, but there may be someone out there like me who has never heard this before and has always had trouble with mitered corners.

When you miter the corner, look on the back at the miter and see which way the fold is going and do it the opposite way on the side you're working on. It worked everytime to give me (almost) perfect miters where before I have always had lots of trouble with them.

Hope this helps someone.

Watson

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616348[/ATTACH]

osewme 08-19-2019 09:44 AM

That's how I do mine. I don't know if someone told me about that at some point or if I just did them that way from the get-go but I like doing it that way. Thanks for the tip & I know it will help lots of quilters. It's so good to have helpful quilters who share their knowledge with others.

Rhonda K 08-19-2019 09:46 AM

Yes, you want one corner up and the other side going down. If you do them the same direction it forms a "pig snout". Look at the corner straight on the edge. No piggies allowed. LOL!

bearisgray 08-19-2019 10:57 AM

It does help to reduce the bulk in the corner when one does that!

bneuen 08-20-2019 03:36 AM

Thanks for the tip. Not sure i’ve Ever paid attention to how the corners lay. Always fiddled with them until it worked. Will pay attention next time.

luvstoquilt 08-20-2019 03:54 AM

Watson how nice to share this! This finally dawned on me about a year or so ago and I thought I finally figured out how everyone else did it! I am 100% self-taught so I always think everyone else already knows when a lightbulb comes on for me. I love that stitch you used on your binding.

copycat 08-21-2019 02:01 AM

Thank you for the info and photos to go along! I, like you, would fiddle with the corners until they looked good. I will be trying your tips on the my next project.

Jazzy'sMom 08-21-2019 06:29 PM

Wow, good tip. I don't know if I ever heard of this before but looks like it works great. Thanks.

awf60 08-22-2019 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 8291253)
And, maybe everyone else already knows this, but there may be someone out there like me who has never heard this before and has always had trouble with mitered corners.

When you miter the corner, look on the back at the miter and see which way the fold is going and do it the opposite way on the side you're working on. It worked everytime to give me (almost) perfect miters where before I have always had lots of trouble with them.

Hope this helps someone.

Watson

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616348[/ATTACH]

Thank you for posting this!

rvsfan 08-23-2019 03:09 AM

Thanks for the tip . I did not know this tip and I can't wait to bind my next quilt and apply this tip .