Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I Learned Something About Mitered Corners

I Learned Something About Mitered Corners

And, maybe everyone else already knows this, but there may be someone out there like me who has never heard this before and has always had trouble with mitered corners.

When you miter the corner, look on the back at the miter and see which way the fold is going and do it the opposite way on the side you're working on. It worked everytime to give me (almost) perfect miters where before I have always had lots of trouble with them.

Hope this helps someone.

Watson

Name:  miter.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  159.1 KB

That's how I do mine. I don't know if someone told me about that at some point or if I just did them that way from the get-go but I like doing it that way. Thanks for the tip & I know it will help lots of quilters. It's so good to have helpful quilters who share their knowledge with others.

Yes, you want one corner up and the other side going down. If you do them the same direction it forms a "pig snout". Look at the corner straight on the edge. No piggies allowed. LOL!

Power Poster
    It does help to reduce the bulk in the corner when one does that!

Thanks for the tip. Not sure i’ve Ever paid attention to how the corners lay. Always fiddled with them until it worked. Will pay attention next time.

Blog Entries
    Watson how nice to share this! This finally dawned on me about a year or so ago and I thought I finally figured out how everyone else did it! I am 100% self-taught so I always think everyone else already knows when a lightbulb comes on for me. I love that stitch you used on your binding.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Thank you for the info and photos to go along! I, like you, would fiddle with the corners until they looked good. I will be trying your tips on the my next project.

Wow, good tip. I don't know if I ever heard of this before but looks like it works great. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    And, maybe everyone else already knows this, but there may be someone out there like me who has never heard this before and has always had trouble with mitered corners.

When you miter the corner, look on the back at the miter and see which way the fold is going and do it the opposite way on the side you're working on. It worked everytime to give me (almost) perfect miters where before I have always had lots of trouble with them.

Hope this helps someone.

Watson

Name:  miter.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  159.1 KB
    Thank you for posting this!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip . I did not know this tip and I can't wait to bind my next quilt and apply this tip .

Blog Entries
    Mitering corners is my biggest weakness when it comes to finishing a quilt. It has become my habit to do a straight on finish rather than a miter where I feel it would look awful if the miter is not perfect. I watch tutorial after tutorial on mitering corners. I can make a perfect mitered corner on a bed but when it comes to a quilt forget it! With all the years I have been quilting I have never mastered mitered corners. Maybe it is time to try again and do a lot of practice tries. there is always an inspiration to be found here.

I never paid attention, I will in the future. My miters on corners usually always look good.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I can give you a tip that could help tremendously. If starting with a 2.5” binding, folded in half equals 1.25. So you would stitch 1/3 of the 1.25” binding, I sew the binding on the quilt with a little smaller than 1/3. By doing this you leave a little bit of extra room to turn the binding over the edge. Then 1/3 goes up (I always press the binding up away from the quilt), and then you bring it over for the last third. If sewing By these measurements the corners should come out perfectly. Another good tip that someone else mentioned was to trim a little of the extra bulk in the corners. Good luck.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-12-2019 at 06:04 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Donnamarie

Yikkies. I just checked the metered binding corners on th quilt that I was sitting under..and I have a piggies nose..will be binding a quilt next week...goal make the mitered binding as Watson did... perfect timing....hum now wondering if all my meters have been piggies. Life does go on..

Judy in Phx, AZ

Great tip! Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Susan Cleveland has a great class on Blueprint all about bindings and paying attention to the corner fold is one of her tips. I ended up buying the class just for reference.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tip. most of my corners come out great. but, the few that don't, must be this problem.
    I must keep this in mind next time i do a binding.

Now, if i can just get the binding meeting the right way. I must be all thumbs when it comes to that.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Another thing that some instruction books say about binding - "stop stitching 1/4 inch from the end" - before doing the folding for the miter -

which works fine if that is the seam width.

I trim the sandwich before putting the binding on - and my seam allowance of the binding is 1/2 inch - so I stop stitching 1/2 inch from the end (or even a thread or two more than 1/2 inch).

If one stitches into the seam allowance of the next side - the binding can't fold back properly.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutori...e-t289669.html