Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/machine-stitched-cathedral-window-tutorial-t35742.html)

AgapeStitches 01-06-2011 09:39 AM

I loved your tutorial and I plan to make a CW quilt soon. My friend Cathy, her mother hand stitched one off and on for 3 years. She finished it before she passed away. Her blocks are very small. I have a pic of it in this post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-88033-1.htm
Thank you for posting the tute.

LovinMySoldier 01-06-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by steelecg
The back is squares of your background fabric - what is different is that on the front you add windows of color? Also since there are four layers plus the windows this is a heavy quilt. I thought about making one for my bed, but I decided to do something that I could left. I do plan on making a good size wall hanging to go over the bed. I question the suitability of this pattern for a baby since it is so heavy??

Thanks! I knew it was the background fabric, I was curious as to how it looked when its all finished and stitched together :) Anyone have a close up pic?

Cupcake 01-06-2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier

The back is squares of your background fabric - what is different is that on the front you add windows of color? Also since there are four layers plus the windows this is a heavy quilt. I thought about making one for my bed, but I decided to do something that I could left. I do plan on making a good size wall hanging to go over the bed. I question the suitability of this pattern for a baby since it is so heavy??

Thanks! I knew it was the background fabric, I was curious as to how it looked when its all finished and stitched together :) Anyone have a close up pic?

I would be interested in a close up photo as well :)

AgapeStitches 01-06-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cupcake

click on the link in my reply judt above yours...it's the second picture.

dsb38327 01-06-2011 11:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Cupcake

I will show you my test pieces when I was learning the pattern. I machine quilt so my stitches show through on the back. I can't speak on hand quilting it but I suspect the back would be solid squares. Maybe some of our hand quilters will show the back side of theirs.

Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154926[/ATTACH]

Back side of the squares
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154977[/ATTACH]

This is the back side of the one on the machine now. The windows are not sewn yet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154995[/ATTACH]

AgapeStitches 01-06-2011 11:35 AM

great job That's what the back of the one I posted looks like.

dsb38327 01-06-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
great job That's what the back of the one I posted looks like.

Yours is hand stitched, I believe. So are you saying the stitches go through the back of the quilt too. That is a lot of thickness. I don't hand quilt but it seems like that would be hard to do. I don't remember seeing photos of the back of yours. If no, will you show us?

AgapeStitches 01-06-2011 11:59 AM

It will be a few days before I can get a pic of the back. It belongs to my friend Cathy and it resides in her home. But I will get one for you to see.

The way I understood it: joining the squares together will create the straight lines on on the back, then the curved lines will be seen on the back as you add each "window".

Hand stitching this took Cathy's Mother 3 years with other projects during this same time.

MaggieLou 01-06-2011 12:12 PM

Great tute!! Please post a pic of the finished quilt. It's going to be awsome in batiks.

LovinMySoldier 01-06-2011 06:43 PM

Thank you so much for showing me the back! Just what I wanted to see. The back is very pretty too! What size of background squares did you use? I was thinking about using 10 inch squares. Do you think that would be too big? The tut used 8.75? I was thinking about buying some white layer cakes and using those. I hate cutting lol. Thanks for the help.