Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/machine-stitched-cathedral-window-tutorial-t35742.html)

LovinMySoldier 01-23-2011 01:51 AM

What do you do at the end to finish it? With all the points at the top? thanks.

Eddie 01-23-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier

You fold those top, side, and bottom points down and tack stitch them down, then put a binding on like you would any other quilt.

LovinMySoldier 01-23-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier

You fold those top, side, and bottom points down and tack stitch them down, then put a binding on like you would any other quilt.

Thanks Eddie!

Quilt Mom 01-25-2011 05:46 AM

I have also seen these finished by sewing the points down, no binding.

Weenween 01-29-2011 03:33 PM

Great tutoring I am going to try it my self some time.My Aunt told me about doing it by machine and not by hand.So you have the answer to my prayer.Thanks a million weenween

sushi 02-05-2011 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
22. Now, we need to stitch down the points in the middle of the block. But, we only want to do that for a point that is on the INNER portion of the row, NOT the OUTER portion. Remember, you still have to join this row to other rows and blocks, to those outer points need to remain loose until you do that. So this pic shows me taking down just one point on the end block.

Eddie, I'm making a Cathedral Window quilt using your instructions, and I'm wondering if it's really necessary to stitch down the points as describe in this step. What does it accomplish? (What would happen if it weren't done?)

FWIW, I've been playing with window sizes just for fun. At the moment, I'm working with 13 5/8" squares, which fold down to windows that are ~4 1/2 inches - large enough to frame fussy-cut "pictures." FUN!

If/when you publish a book on Cathedral Windows, I suggest you recommend chain-stitching the first few steps.

Thank you VERY much for your wonderful tutorial!

Eddie 02-05-2011 04:20 PM

I stitch down the points to keep them from "wandering" while I'm stitching that curved edge. To me, it's easier to have that end secured so I don't have to worry about it while doing the curve.

sushi 02-05-2011 07:17 PM

Thanks, Eddie.

I've only made about 8 squares (6 completed windows) and I've consistently forgotten to tack down the points. I haven't encountered any problems (yet), but henceforth I'm going to tack the corners down - at least until I can see what difference it makes.

BTW, it occurs to me that one could use really big squares with this pattern as long as the "window panes" were quilted in a separate step. For instance, if a window pane were 7"x7", one could secure everything by doing quilting within each pane..

For example, since I like the idea of framing something in each window, I could add quilting stitches around that framed object/picture. Of course, that quilting would show on the back side - how delightful!

Daisy144 02-05-2011 09:42 PM

thank you so much for such a wonderful tutorial - It's one of the very best I've seen.

Beebonnet 02-06-2011 08:13 AM

Awesome tutorial, Eddie. I just loved it and really want to try it.