Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Making Mitered Corners on a Hemmed Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/making-mitered-corners-hemmed-quilt-t217971.html)

ube quilting 04-02-2013 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter (Post 5970982)
You're welcome ladies!

ube: "When you say hemmed quilt, are you referring to bringing the backing fabric to the front for the binding?" Yes - and it is easy. But, make sure you practice on some scrap fabric first to get your measurements the way you want them.

Thanks so much AQ. I can't wait to try it!
peace

sonisew 04-02-2013 09:32 PM

Nice tute thanks!

twinkie 04-03-2013 03:13 AM

great tute. Thanks.

IBQUILTIN 04-03-2013 09:21 AM

Great tute. I have avoided that kind of finish because it looked so difficult. thanx for making it look doable.

barbrose 04-03-2013 12:10 PM

hemmed quilt

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter (Post 5970072)
Picture 1: Shows lining up the 45 degree line on the top edge of the pieced top. The cutting edge of the ruler is extended 1/4" past the point of the top (seam allowance). I like to trim my backing fabric 2" from pieced top for a nice size/full hem.

Picture 2: What it looks like after slicing off the corner. Practice on some scraps first just so you don't get nervous!

Picture3: Fold backing fabric lining up cut edge with corner of pieced top on the fold. Place a pin in the middle. Now stitch from folded corner to the pin. Clip corner.

Picture 4: Turn corner right side out. I just use my finger to "pop" the corner. If needed, finger press seam open.

Picture 5: Sides folded under and pinned. Ready to be stitched down. When I do a hemmed quilt, I machine stitch down the hem. This would also look nice with a decorative stitch.

Picture 6: This is a picture of a Log Cabin quilt I did about 5 years ago. As you can see, the seam is still holding up. And it's nice and flat - no bulk.

can you tell me where I can get the easy rule from? great tut thanks

AlienQuilter 04-03-2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by barbrose (Post 5975484)
can you tell me where I can get the easy rule from? great tut thanks

I honestly don't remember where I bought that ruler. All you need is a long ruler that has a 45 degree line on it.

A 6 1/2" square up ruler is not long enough. You need one with a nice long side for cutting off the corner. The ruler above is 6 1/2" X 13". A 6" X 24" ruler would also work if it has a 45 degree line on it.

I'm glad everyone likes the tutorial. Once you get the hang of it, it goes really fast.

richardswife 04-03-2013 04:40 PM

Thanks for the tut/

MarleneC 04-03-2013 05:39 PM

Nice easy instructions and great pictures to show each step of the process.

judykay 04-04-2013 06:16 AM

LOVE the tute, thank you very much...I have been quilting for many years and finally got the binding the way I want it and now I can do baby quilts this way too. Thanks again and I agree the pictures are worth a thousand words and make it all seem so easy.

wolph33 04-05-2013 05:08 AM

great tute-thanks