Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   METHOD FOR SQUARE IN A SQUARE (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/method-square-square-t24707.html)

butterflywing 08-31-2009 05:17 AM

this cuts the center square and the outside triangles all at once.

it's not better, it's faster. when you stack them all you do is remove the top center square. the inside square beneath that one sets yo up for for the scrappies. when you get to to bottom, you use the one you first removed.
with a sharp blade you can do up to six.

joeyoz 10-28-2009 11:28 AM

That was an awesome video. Thank you for sharing.

Barb_MO 11-11-2009 02:49 PM

I'm sure glad bullerflywing went to all that truouble to draw this out and explain step by step this method of cutting the square in a square for the scrap block.
I checked my line to the video on hgtv and it is no longer there.

butterflywing 11-11-2009 04:22 PM

hi barb, you're right. sometime between then and now, they made it go away! i hope you understand the directions as i gave them. if not, i'll try to answer any questions.

it was a paula nadelstern technique originally, and my friend and i simplified it and came up with the same result without all the match that hers involved.
also, one of the members made a great scrappy quilt using the instructions. i'll try to search it out. maybe she would be kind enough to step forward and show it again?

butterflywing 11-29-2009 02:19 PM

barb, are you online? try the link right now. i think it's working.

Barb_MO 11-29-2009 04:11 PM

Hi, Thanks for the heads up on the return of the video. It worked for me now.

charismah 11-29-2009 04:21 PM

I Actually use the square in a square ruler technique by Jodi barrows and it goes really quick and easy.....although spendy if you are trying to save money.I think teh ruler is around 20$ or something..but I think it is a good investment for perfect squares every time.

butterflywing 11-29-2009 05:41 PM

$20? ach! ach! ach! (that's me, chocking. i said i was cheap, didn't i?) :mrgreen:

this does give you perfect squares. honest. i do 6, but i have done 8. i'm afraid to do 12, like she says she does. i do starch the life out of the fabric because it keeps the fabric from slipping around. and it keeps those biases very stable. and i love those little notches.

when i'm in a hurry, i do the no-marking method (the sketched one). i lay the folded fabric on top of the pile and cut, then finger press the next one for the next pile, and so on.

LucyInTheSky 12-20-2009 10:35 PM

I notice in your sketch on page 1, you say to fold in quarters, connect to make a diamond (well, the inside square), and then move in 1/4" and draw your new square.

In the linked video, Anita draws the 4 quarters first (like you) but then she goes in 1/4" and draws new quartered squares, THEN she connects them to make the diamond.

Will that make a difference?? I *think* that it does. For the video, the diamond tips are 1/4" from the ends of the fabric, right? But with yours, I'm fairly certain it's a little more than a 1/4" from the edge. Since I think (ex-Geometry teacher), yours would actually be .25*1.414 = about .38 (fuzzy math) not .25. I know that's not a lot but I think your way makes it so it's farther in than 1/4

Thoughts?? Response? Am I crazy? :D

Bevanger 12-21-2009 05:11 AM

Awesome link. Thanks. I wanna try this