Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Microwave Fabric Bowls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/microwave-fabric-bowls-t144848.html)

SandyinZ4 10-06-2014 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love your tutorial and thanks to it, . I made my first one for my medium size serving bowl It came out great. Next I will make some for cereal bowl size bowls and take a deeper dart in each side. These are wonderful for getting hot bowls from the M/W.

masufa 10-06-2014 08:46 PM

Actually you have 8 tucks 4 on the top and 4 on the batting, just make sure when you put the 2 pieces together that the tucks that are on top of each other are laying in opposite directions so when you sew the seam you aren't going over both tucks at the same time.

masufa 10-06-2014 08:51 PM

I think this is a great way to use up those pieces of batting left over from trimming a large quilt.

If using spray adhesive I think I would wash it after making because the adhesive might react to the heat in the microwave.

bearland53 10-17-2014 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just made one. Like the way it turned out. Will probably make a few more. Love that it is reversible.

redbugsullivan 10-18-2014 08:49 PM

I love how versatile this pattern is. A hot cup of soup on a cold day, delivered by my cheap microwave, makes it all worth while.

mooretll 10-27-2014 01:50 AM

Thanks love this

Viking Quilter 11-01-2014 07:56 PM

Per The Warm Company, frequently asked questions:
Sheila

I love warm & white. Can I use it in the microwave, or do I have to use warm tater?
- Hi Sheila! Thank you for your post!
Warm & White is not recommended for use in the microwave. This product contains a synthetic scrim that stabilizes the cotton fibers and we have not tested how this would react in the microwave. You may use any batting that is 100% cotton like our Warm & Plush.
I’m sorry to say that we have discontinued our Warm Tater product, however Warm & Plush is taking its place – it is a batting that is made the same way as Warm Tater, 100% cotton, except uses ultra-clean cotton.
For more information on Warm & Plush, visit here:
www.warmcompany.com/warm-and-plush.html
There are several precautions you must take when using microwave projects like the potato bag which we go over on our website:
www.warmcompany.com/warmtater.html
Always be sure there is moisture in the bag and that it is properly rotated during cook time. Do not leave it unattended. Please call us toll free (800)234-9276 if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you!
http://www.warmcompany.com/wnwhitepage.html

quiltbea 11-02-2014 09:00 AM

I've made the small one but was happy to see you posting the size squares for the larger plate, which I've been wanting to also make.
Thanks

Dancinquilter 11-12-2014 12:42 PM

I have been making these for several years and did a lot of research on the batting. I used Warm Tater and now use the Warm & Plush as I prefer the thickness over the Wrap 'n Zap. Warm & Plush is the only batting I have found that doesn't have scrim - the package may say 100% cotton but, if you research it, scrim has usually been applied. And, I wash my fabrics first to remove anything that might be on the cotton and use 100 % cotton thread. I also enclose a warning that there isn't a guarantee that the item might not burn.

kzimmer 11-13-2014 08:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498695[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]498696[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]498697[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]498698[/ATTACH]

I love this idea! I modified this a bit by using recycled materials. One side is a piece of jeans from an old retired pair of jeans, and the other side was cotton materials that I had on hand. Inside, for the batting, I used a couple of wash clothes that were warn. I was able to get 11" squares for the outer materials, and I cut the wash clothes to 10 1/2". This made a pretty thick product, especially around the edges, so I was unable to sew the final seam around the edge.
I think for the next try I will still use the jeans and cotton fabric for the outside, but for the inside use just one wash clothe and one piece of a 100% cotton t-shirt. I also think I will try trimming the darts to eliminate some of the thickness around the darts.
I enjoyed this project and the opportunity to recycle some fabrics. Thanks!