Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   My Way of Handquilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/my-way-handquilting-t142087.html)

nellie 08-03-2011 09:00 PM

beautiful quilting

trisha 08-03-2011 09:34 PM

Wow!! It would take me years to quilt half of that

Borntohandquilt 08-03-2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Petey
Are you ising your finger nail to push the needle?

No, it's more the forefinger of my right hand.

HummerGardenCrafts 08-03-2011 10:11 PM

Beautiful work. I also have a floor stand round frame. And I also have the long floor model. Both have quilts on them right now.
There is no way I can quilt without a thimble.
And don't you hate it when you get a hole in one of your fingers while quilting. I'll guarantee you will hit that same hole time after time.
I do envy you for being able to quilt without a thimble.

raksmum 08-03-2011 10:28 PM

Thank you so much for posting this! You are an amazing hand quilter and I am so happy to hear that you only do one stitch at a time. I took a class to learn this and HAD to wear a thimble and HAD to try to get a minimum of 4 to 6 stitches on my needle by doing the rocking motion. Your posting has made my day! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will now go back and finish my project knowing that one of the best hand quilters I have seen does one stitch at a time.

Borntohandquilt 08-03-2011 10:32 PM

Yes, I hate it when I have a hole in my finger - but fortunately I don't have one! :) I think the callouses are strong enough after years of quilting and it's also a matter of holding or guiding the needle.

I know my method looks a little strange to some quilters or too boring because I only do single stitches or it seems to be too slow. But I like it that way and for me the result counts. It's not so important how you reach it.

My time 08-04-2011 03:10 AM

Thank you for sharing your technique. I will bookmark this. I have never ever liked using a thimble. It just doesn't feel right on my finger. Your quilting looks beautiful. You say one stitch at a time eh? Like doing an embroidery stitch?

Borntohandquilt 08-04-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by My time
Thank you for sharing your technique. I will bookmark this. I have never ever liked using a thimble. It just doesn't feel right on my finger. Your quilting looks beautiful. You say one stitch at a time eh? Like doing an embroidery stitch?

Yes, you could compare that. I don't do stab stitching as you see on the pictures, the needle is not pulled out on the back, it stays on the top of the quilt.

nab 08-04-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt

Originally Posted by needles3thread
Your quilting is amazingly great.......Is it relazing to you? It is good that you can sit beside the window for
natural lighting.

I love to sit at near the terrace door the whole day and work on my quilts! The light is perfect and I can see all the birds in the garden, the roses in the summer and the snow in winter! :) It's very relaxing...

This sounds like a perfect day to me.

violetsfarm 08-04-2011 07:16 AM

You do such beautiful work. Thank you for showing us, no thimble? Amazing detail and so straight.