Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   My Way of Handquilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/my-way-handquilting-t142087.html)

jmmellin 08-05-2011 09:25 AM

Your quilting is amazing, nut it must take forever one stitch at a time?

Joan Gaddis 08-05-2011 09:28 AM

you do such beautiful work!! I hand quilt also,but cannot compare with your work.I do not even come close!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan in VA 08-06-2011 10:03 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this tute. It is a pleasure to see, up close and personal, someone else's beautiful work. I quilt as you do, without a thimble, except I depress the fabric in front of the needle on the uplift with the very edge of my thumb nail.

Your work is truly lovely as is your setting. :-)

Jan in VA

fishhavengirl 08-06-2011 10:36 AM

Love your technique. My Godmother is from your area in Germany. I'm going to see her on Wednesday and tell that someone on this board is from Schelswig-Holstein. She won't believe...lol...she always says nobody is from there except her! My brother lives in Hamburg.

butterflies5518 08-06-2011 10:49 AM

I will be taking a hand quilting claas in two weeks so I eagerly read every word and saw borntoquilt topics - I am in total awe, such beautiful hand work and legacy to continue and be a part of. Thank you to all who have posted, questions and comments. I feel I have much more respect for this craft beyond just curiosity.

Borntohandquilt 08-06-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by fishhavengirl
Love your technique. My Godmother is from your area in Germany. I'm going to see her on Wednesday and tell that someone on this board is from Schelswig-Holstein. She won't believe...lol...she always says nobody is from there except her! My brother lives in Hamburg.

This is great! Sometimes the world seems to be very, very small...I lived in Hamburg several years and my husband is born and raised there. Schleswig-Holstein is sometimes called "the land between the seas (North Sea and Baltic Sea)" and I am really happy here in the country side.

Kristin in ME 08-07-2011 06:37 AM

I love, love, love seeing your work. I made a small (36" square) wholecloth once and loved it, seeing your work is making me want to try another one! I'm currently handquilting a log cabin, I think a wholecloth after this would be a welcome relief from all these seams! :)

I handquilt the way I was taught to- from one side to another, loading several stitches at a time. I always thought that one stitch at a time would make it harder to keep them even. Now I want to give it a try! A question- why do you aim towards yourself, instead of from one side to another?

gramquilter2 08-07-2011 08:26 AM

Your handquilting is fantastic.
I would like to try your method someday...

Borntohandquilt 08-07-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
A question- why do you aim towards yourself, instead of from one side to another?

That is how my way of quilting developed over the years. I don't bend my wrist joint so much when I quilt towards my body and like this it's most comfortable for me.

jodie 08-07-2011 02:54 PM

how long does it take you to do a quilt ?