Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   My Way of Handquilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/my-way-handquilting-t142087.html)

mpeters1200 08-03-2011 06:07 AM

It took me a long time and a lot of picked out stitches, but I rock the needle successfully now. What amazes me is everytime I try to make only one stitch, it isn't even with the rest of them.

I make my own motifs too. Some stencils, not many as I only have two. I make templates for a lot and mark with a Bohn pencil similar to the resin one Fons and Porter have available. It takes me about 5-6 months to quit a queen size.

I hope to try a whole cloth next or get into feathers, plumes or fruit quilted in. I love handquilting and find it very relaxing. I learned at a quilting bee right out of any historical book you can read. It still exists and I miss those wonderful ladies so much after I moved away.

I use a thimble with the edge on it to catch the back of the needle and push it through. I use a broken piece of balloon to pull the needle the rest of the way if it gets stuck.

gigi10 08-03-2011 06:13 AM

I am familiar with Quilter's Dream Batting, do you like the cotton? or something else? I can not find a batting that gives me the results I am looking for. Every manufactor seems to have changed what they produce.....going green....please tell me the specific name because it sure looks like you are getting a great result.

Steady Stiching 08-03-2011 06:14 AM

beautiful!

Suz 08-03-2011 06:32 AM

Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing your technique. However, your needle choice is too small for my crocked fingers to grasp. One stitch-at-a-time sounds tedious, but your end result is outstanding.

Joan 08-03-2011 06:33 AM

Your work is beautiful and sooooo precise.

Thanks for sharing!

vjengels 08-03-2011 06:39 AM

Nice photos! I generally don't use a thimble either, and bringing the stiches toward you seems to be a more accurate and faster way for me than going away from me...I use my fingernail to 'rock ' the needle and do a few stiches at a time. I love your work!

MargeD 08-03-2011 06:41 AM

Your quilting is excellent, nice even stitches. When I first started quilting, I didn't have anyone to teach me, so I stitched one stitch at a time. I took some classes, made one quilt for my daughter that was handquilted, but developed carpal tunnel, so I only machine quilt now. I could possible do a small project if I paced myself, but I'm too impatient for that. Whatever works for you and your method is obviously working.

Nancy Ingham 08-03-2011 06:42 AM

Your quilting is truly exquisite! Thank you for sharing your technique...I am going to try your method.

Annaquilts 08-03-2011 06:43 AM

Put it in the frame but relax it a little. Some one told me like the cat slept on it. I think most of us put it too tight in the frame or hoop. When I use a hoop and pull it in place and then push the back of my fist in the center before thightening it.

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
You must use a frame? It cant seem to figure out how to do stitches when the fabric is streched in the frame...

Annaquilts 08-03-2011 06:46 AM

Awesome workmanship. Great pictures. Thank you for sharing them.