Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Paths to Better Stippling/Meandering (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/paths-better-stippling-meandering-t177072.html)

TX GMimi 06-08-2013 11:23 AM

What an absolute angel you are to share this with everyone! Many blessings to you and yours!!

EdieClay 06-08-2013 11:35 AM

Thanks so much for sharing your discovery. Your drawing is excellent and really helped me understand your technique. I am making a bag this weekend so I am going to try your stippling technique.

MacThayer 06-08-2013 12:07 PM

I started by buying up a bunch of old fabrics cheap at a Salvation Army Store. Think the whole box cost me $5. Then I started with the largest prints, and worked on quilting around those. As I improved, I worked my way slowly down to outlining the smallest prints. There were hearts to practice on, and plaids where I could do geometric work, solids for "fill in quilting", and vines to follow and outline. I ended up buying more cheap, used fabric and continued on. It saved me! Prior to that, I couldn't FMQ for the life of me, and I was getting frustrated with the tutorials, etc. I had to practice, practice, practice moving that material around, really getting the feel of it. Eventually I graduated to "sandwiched" pieces, and then to quilts. Yes, it was a long process, but it was what I needed to do for me to learn. It was even harder because I have peripheral neuropathy in my hands (numbness and tingling) and the fabric had a different feel to me than it might for other people. But now, I am praised for my quilting abilities.

I also very, very much like Leah Day's suggestion of putting a serpentine line of quilting on a quilt, and then meadering back and forth over it. I just love her!

newbee3 06-08-2013 12:38 PM

I do that with feathers and swirls works great

newbee3 06-08-2013 12:40 PM

you can do the same with feathers

Jersey Gal 06-19-2013 05:51 PM

Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to try this method.

Narda H. 06-24-2013 03:44 AM

OMG! How incredibly elementary!Thank you soooo much, I am going to meander like crazy now!

Althea 06-24-2013 07:24 AM

Thank you for Sharing!

Thank you so much. I'll bet Leah could have kicked herself for not thinking of this! I am a new meanderer and had the same trouble you did before your brainstorm. For months, I have done lots of research and reading regarding free motion quilting. No where have I seen this brilliant idea, not even from the best of the best quilters, so I kiss the ground you walk on! Endless possibilities, I'd say. Thank you AGAIN for requesting this be a tutorial and hats off to our fabulous moderator. What a wonderful site we have here. Quiltingboard.com is the best!

tuckyquilter 07-19-2013 09:27 PM

Very clever.. This will help me for sure, as I have struggled with consistency in my FMQ too. And who doesn't love Leah Day??

homecaregiver 07-21-2013 06:16 AM

Whoo Hoooo!!!! Maybe this will be something that will take the fear out of learning to stipple and meander for me. thanks so much for posting this I think you made a lot of us quilters happy this morning.
Pat