Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Paths to Better Stippling/Meandering (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/paths-better-stippling-meandering-t177072.html)

Elence 07-25-2013 07:07 PM

Thank you for this post. I am also one who "stresses" over where to go next, but I don't hesitate to cross lines if I get myself into a corner! Seriously, your idea is absolutely wonderful, and everything seems to make more sense now!

narnianquilter 08-20-2013 06:48 AM

That really makes a lot of sense! I just started learning FMQ and I think this will help alot. Thanks a bunch for sharing your insight!

cmilton 08-20-2013 07:10 AM

Thank you! I like this method. i am going to try it.

Althea 08-26-2013 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer (Post 6111167)
I started by buying up a bunch of old fabrics cheap at a Salvation Army Store. Think the whole box cost me $5. Then I started with the largest prints, and worked on quilting around those. As I improved, I worked my way slowly down to outlining the smallest prints. There were hearts to practice on, and plaids where I could do geometric work, solids for "fill in quilting", and vines to follow and outline. I ended up buying more cheap, used fabric and continued on. It saved me! Prior to that, I couldn't FMQ for the life of me, and I was getting frustrated with the tutorials, etc. I had to practice, practice, practice moving that material around, really getting the feel of it. Eventually I graduated to "sandwiched" pieces, and then to quilts. Yes, it was a long process, but it was what I needed to do for me to learn. It was even harder because I have peripheral neuropathy in my hands (numbness and tingling) and the fabric had a different feel to me than it might for other people. But now, I am praised for my quilting abilities.

I also very, very much like Leah Day's suggestion of putting a serpentine line of quilting on a quilt, and then meadering back and forth over it. I just love her!

I never thought of using printed fabric for practicing. What a great idea! I can actually start doing this is in a few minutes. No more classes, no more tutorials for now! Thanks so much for sharing!

pyffer3 08-26-2013 07:42 AM

I have been wanting to try fmq, but have been too chicken to try. Your way seems very simple and I can't wait to try it. I have a baby quilt top almost finished and I think I will try this on that. Thank you so very much for making this process less intimidating!

amandasgramma 08-28-2013 06:22 AM

Good tutorial.....and yes, doing that path will prevent the "row" look. :) :)

MacThayer 08-28-2013 09:58 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this awesome technique! I just tried it and it worked beautifully! You should suggest it to Leah Day, and tell her how much her classes did to "spawn" this idea of yours. I'll bet she'd love the feedback as well as your suggestion.

Chris48 09-10-2013 07:52 PM

I could stipple till the cows come home or pigs fly; whichever happens first!!! But the feather stitch, I just have a hard time getting what the design should look like in my head. I tried doing the pencil and paper thing, even they didn't look like feathers!. Chris

annabell131 09-13-2013 04:05 PM

How simple is this method!!!! Wow thank you so much

Blue Bell 09-13-2013 08:03 PM

What a super idea! Thanks for sharing!