Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Pincushion Sewing Kit from an empty Quaker Oats container! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/pincushion-sewing-kit-empty-quaker-oats-container-t161884.html)

KastleKitty 10-20-2011 08:45 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I am not sure if printing the page with all the cardboard patterns will come out proportionally, so I listed the diameter of each piece. You will see that there are some that need to be covered with fabric, one that does not, one that is for the fabric of the pincushion itself. Three cardboard circles of varying sizes need to be covered with fabric. To avoid any more mental overload, use a damaged CD as a pattern to cut three fabric circles which you will gather to cover the three cardboard circles. The size of the CD will accommodate all three which is easier than making three more circle patterns.

KastleKitty 10-20-2011 08:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Back to the lid! Make sure you hotglue the correct circles in the right places. If you transfer the identification from the pattern it will help, but mark it however helps you keep it straight. Dry fitting them before you glue will help too.

Hotglue the bottom of the lid and place the corresponding covered circle onto it.

KastleKitty 10-20-2011 08:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pincushion: Simply push it into the top. I do not glue mine. If you want to you can do it. I have never had one pop out. Smooth any wrinkles on the pincushion. I have an assortment of wood skewers, popsicle sticks, etc. I use for such things.

KastleKitty 10-20-2011 08:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Push the appropriate circle into the canister to finish the bottom. Then place the liner, pretty side out, into it. I do not usually glue this either. I think I would do more damage with the gluegun than what can happen from the pieces not being glued! It is your choice.

KastleKitty 10-20-2011 08:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Bottom of sewing kit: Hotglue the unfinished bottom of the container and place the matching fabric covered circle onto it. Depending on the fabric weight and your glue habits, you may be able to gently push the circle into the bottom slightly for a tighter fit.

Sewfine 10-20-2011 08:51 AM

Thanks for sharing.

KastleKitty 10-20-2011 08:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And here is the finished product, a lovely pincushion sewing kit made from a disposable!

I always find straight pins with pretty matching heads to stick into the top. If giving as a gift, you can drop a few new spools of thread, a tape measure, a pack of needles, or a small pair of scissors inside. Even for a person who does not sew, this can be handy to have in the house to replace a button or fix a hem. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial as much as I did in making it! KastleKitty :-D :-D :-D

LLWinston44 10-20-2011 08:57 AM

That is lovely!!!!!!!! Good job on the tute also!

lynnie 10-20-2011 08:59 AM

just love that fabric, thanks for the tut too

QuiltnNan 10-20-2011 09:15 AM

thanks