Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Quilt as you go in columns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quilt-you-go-columns-t276464.html)

nvb50 03-06-2016 07:16 PM

Quilt as you go in columns

I do a modified quilt as you go.

1. complete all your blocks and sew them together in thirds. I do mine in columns.

2. sandwich 1/3 of the top with batting 3 inches wider on the left and right. (or more on the left depending on the boarder)

3. sandwich the entire back, lining up the left side even with the batting.

4. Quilt that section how ever you want.

5. Attach another section of batting to the previous batting, making sure that the top or the backing is not in the way.

6. place the next section of the top face down on the previous top section and using a 1/4 inch seam.

7. Sandwich that section together and proceed with the next quilting.

8. Attach the 3rd section like you did the 2nd section.

9. I attach the boarders either before or after the quilting depending on what look I am trying to get.

I have done all my quilts that are bigger than a twin size.

Flowergurl 03-06-2016 08:01 PM

Could we have pics? I am a visual learner.

elnan 03-06-2016 10:40 PM

Sounds like Marti Michell's book "Machine Quilting In Sections", printed 2004. You may be able to find it in your local library or get it used at Amazon.com, plenty of pictures there.

NVB50, good to hear from someone who has actually used her system and likes it.

LindaJ 03-07-2016 04:30 AM

Thanks, will have to try that. Sounds like it would be easier to machine quilt that way.

vickig626 03-07-2016 06:29 AM

I love this idea! I do the usual 1 block at a time but will need to try this version. Thanks!!

nvb50 03-07-2016 04:48 PM

The next time I do a quilt I will take pictures. I will be away from my machine for a couple of weeks.

nvb50 03-07-2016 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by elnan (Post 7486671)
Sounds like Marti Michell's book "Machine Quilting In Sections", printed 2004. You may be able to find it in your local library or get it used at Amazon.com, plenty of pictures there.

NVB50, good to hear from someone who has actually used her system and likes it.

I have never read the book. I came up with this on my own to be able to use my embroidery machine for the actual quilting. thanks

annette1952 03-08-2016 09:20 AM

I just finished a king sized quilt in Jan. for a gift using this method. I have Marti Michells book but I watched some videos by Candy Glendering at Candied Fabrics. I am a visual person. It worked really well & it is easy.

nvb50 03-08-2016 04:12 PM

I did not realize that there was a book on it. I am a self taught quilter. I had to come up with something because I did not want anyone to work on my quilt but me.

tessagin 03-08-2016 04:21 PM

Ran into a "Negative Nelly" who tried to tell me they wouldn't last long done like this. Then her mother said the quilt she made for her was done that way. The quilt is 15 years old and still looks great. It gets a lot of use. Yay!!!!