Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Quilt As You Go that Deb uses (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quilt-you-go-deb-uses-t52698.html)

Barb M 07-07-2010 11:43 PM

Oh this is great Deb! I've read instructions before, where you catch the batting edges and the edge of the block in the seam, and that seemed like a lot of bulk to me, but this i get! :) And i love your blocks, they look gorgeous :)

Deb watkins 07-08-2010 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Barb M
Oh this is great Deb! I've read instructions before, where you catch the batting edges and the edge of the block in the seam, and that seemed like a lot of bulk to me, but this i get! :) And i love your blocks, they look gorgeous :)

That does create alot of bulk, by stitching right next to the edges, the blocks lay snug and flat. I am almost done with mine, and will post pics as I get a little further.

skjquiltnut 07-08-2010 10:46 AM

Cool! Would never have thought to sew outside....raining here today but sounds like such a fun idea, sound of rain on Patio roof, nice breeze.....thanks, feels cooler just thinking about it. :thumbup:

Jshep 07-08-2010 11:19 AM

Sounds like great fun. I love to sit outside and read. Will have to try sewing outside too.

marla 07-09-2010 01:49 PM

Hey Deb.
Love the tutorial. I am wondering, did yu sew in 1" when you put both blocks together? and that 1" would then allow you to stitch in the ditch?

Deb watkins 07-09-2010 02:12 PM

6 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by marla
Hey Deb.
Love the tutorial. I am wondering, did yu sew in 1" when you put both blocks together? and that 1" would then allow you to stitch in the ditch?

I have taken more pics with this, I am hoping they will clarify what I am doing. I have almost all of the blocks together, been working on this a good deal of the day. Hung it up on the design board, and realized that I skipped one entire row....had to rip it all out....what a pain.

putting two blocks together, the backings are right sides together, the quilt top is on the outside. Matching them up and putting pins at the edges of the block top.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79559[/ATTACH]

Sewing right at the edge of the block tops. Yes, I am using the SID foot to help keep me right on the very edge. This is sewn from top to bottom, not just catching the block top.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79560[/ATTACH]

This shows the backing flaps that are now on the top of the quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79644[/ATTACH]

Here I have folded one of the flaps TO the edge of the block, then folded it again so it is ON the block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79645[/ATTACH]

Both sides are now folded on to their respective blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79647[/ATTACH]

Now sew on the folded flap - which is now the 'sashing', just enough to catch it. I still use my SID foot, just moved the needle to the left. On my Jamone it is from 3.5 to 1.8. I hope these pics clarify my way of QAYG. I will have more pics later of the quilt all together as well as the back. That has a separate pattern all of its own, making this quilt reversible.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79649[/ATTACH]

marla 07-09-2010 03:46 PM

Thank you so very much Deb. And I can't wait to see the final product.
I am going to try this one.
Hugs
marla

Originally Posted by Deb watkins

Originally Posted by marla
Hey Deb.

I have taken more pics with this, I am hoping they will clarify what I am doing. I have almost all of the blocks together, been working on this a good deal of the day. Hung it up on the design board, and realized that I skipped one entire row....had to rip it all out....what a pain.

carol45 07-10-2010 05:39 AM

have you tried making the backing 1/2" bigger instead of 1" so that when folded the sashing is 1/4" on each side? Do you think that would work well to give you 1/2" sashing instead of 1" total?

Deb watkins 07-10-2010 06:02 AM

The sashing on each block edge is just 1/2 inch. If I wanted larger sashings, I would cut the batting 14" to start, cut the backing to 17",(would this be large enough?)trim the batting to 13 when quilted, and trim the backing to 16 so there would be enough backing to fold over to catch the quilt top. Hmmmm, you have put another thought in my head....may have to play around with that as well!!

carol45 07-10-2010 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
The sashing on each block edge is just 1/2 inch. If I wanted larger sashings, I would cut the batting 14" to start, cut the backing to 17",(would this be large enough?)trim the batting to 13 when quilted, and trim the backing to 16 so there would be enough backing to fold over to catch the quilt top. Hmmmm, you have put another thought in my head....may have to play around with that as well!!

I was thinking of making it smaller so that it would be 1/4 inch on each block edge. Have you ever done that?