Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Rag Quilt Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/rag-quilt-tutorial-t106335.html)

nanacandi 03-10-2011 04:37 PM

Thank you I wanted to know how to make a rag quilt but didnt want to ask

janjanq 03-10-2011 04:42 PM

My husband and I have made 24 raggy quilts in just over a year. We've tried different things with each, and personalized them with machine embroidery. We've made one for each member of the family and have run out of people to make them for. Now we feel kind of lost. I'll try to post pictures of some of them in a few days.

ccthomas 03-10-2011 04:46 PM

Great tip about cleaning out the lint trap every ten minutes. If you have made a rag quilt, you will be SHOCKED at the amount of lint | strings that accumulates during the drying process.

Originally Posted by Kathy9052
I've made a couple of these - great fun! Homespun fabrics make a great country-looking quilt. A couple of tips that I can provide. First, stay away from firmly woven fabrics because they won't give you that frayed look. Second, when you are wash and dry the quilt, there's a lot of loose threads. Usually the lint trap of the dryer needs to be cleaned out about every 10 minutes. The more you wash the quilt, the better it looks. When giving the quilt as a gift, include one of those sticky lint rollers so the recipient can clean the threads off of the quilt after washing it. One final tip. When someone admires the quilt that you made and wants you to make one for them, make sure that you ask what size they want before agreeing to do it. I agreed to make one for my niece, then she told me that she wanted a king-size one! Holy Toledo! That was a big quilt!

Laura F 03-10-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by chamby

Originally Posted by SEW
Can you use flannel as the backer so your rag quilt is only 2 layers? or do you use it as batting?

Yes you can use flannal. Most rag quilts are made entirely of flannal so that it frays more. You can also use homespun which frays much more. I have made several of these and they are so much fun to make. If you want to save your hands in the clipping I would suggest that you purchase what is called rag quilt snips. They are spring loaded for easier cutting.

I'm not sure how much rag quilt snips are, but I used my husbands spring loaded Fiskars for my baby rag quilt made with flannel and they worked great. I found a smaller pair of spring loaded Fiskars at Home Depot for $9.99 (I think) and they also work great.

Eileen 03-10-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by SEW
Can you use flannel as the backer so your rag quilt is only 2 layers? or do you use it as batting?

When I do flannel rag quilts, I will put batting inbetween layers. it just seams more cumfy.

PatQuilts 03-10-2011 05:21 PM

Thank you so much! I've seen this quilt and needed some good instructions.

Homemother 03-10-2011 05:22 PM

Thanks for the tute! It looks fun and simple.

marlene tarzwell 03-10-2011 05:44 PM

Thankyou so much for this tute. I havent seen any that I might actually be able to make.

lnlwhitt 03-10-2011 05:48 PM

Okay I plan on making one of these this summer with a friend as my first quilt but I need to buy my fabric. For something sofa sized? how much fabric do I need???

lnlwhitt 03-10-2011 05:48 PM

Okay I plan on making one of these this summer with a friend as my first quilt but I need to buy my fabric. For something sofa sized? how much fabric do I need???