Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rag Quilt Tutorial

Let me start by saying.... This was my first rag quilt but it was so easy and turned out so nice that I thought I'd share.

This is a small rag quilt -28" x 28" - which is a good size for a baby, a pet, or a table topper. The size depends on how many blocks you make and the size of the blocks. These are five-inch fabric squares with four-inch batting squares.

Finished rag quilt
    Name:  Attachment-144868.jpe
Views: 5528
Size:  270.1 KB

Choose your fabrics - I used pre-cut charm packs and some other fabrics from my stash
    Name:  Attachment-144869.jpe
Views: 3783
Size:  235.7 KB

Lay the squares out to see how you want them arranged. I used 49 squares to make seven rows of seven squares.
    Name:  Attachment-144870.jpe
Views: 3773
Size:  270.9 KB

Keeping the squares in order, stack them up along with your squares of batting and backing. I cut the batting into four-inch squares so they would not be in the seam allowance. If you use flannel you can cut them the same size as your blocks. It will make the raggy part fluffier. Use a 1/2 inch seam allowance or larger if you are using larger squares.
    Name:  Attachment-145824.jpe
Views: 3799
Size:  245.9 KB

Place a piece of batting in the center of a backing square. Place the top fabric on top face up. Pin all three layers together to keep them from shifting during sewing.
    Name:  Attachment-145842.jpe
Views: 3671
Size:  214.3 KB

Sew an X across each block. A walking foot helps make this job a little easier. Otherwise, you may get a little pucker as you cross the first seam with the second seam.
    Name:  Attachment-146367.jpe
Views: 4007
Size:  253.8 KB

Now you have all your blocks finished and quilted. They should still be in the order you had them laid out.
    Name:  Attachment-146809.jpe
Views: 3665
Size:  263.1 KB

Now you can begin sewing the blocks together in rows. Sew with the seam allowance facing the front side (top) of your quilt.
    Name:  Attachment-147329.jpe
Views: 3635
Size:  269.3 KB

Sew the rows together, matching seams, and sewing the seams open. I sewed these to one side but did another one open and it worked better. You don't need to press with an iron, just finger pressing is fine. Sew all the way around the outside edges twice one half inch from edges.
    Name:  Attachment-148730.jpe
Views: 3657
Size:  325.7 KB

With very sharp pointed scissors, snip the seam allowance approximately every quarter inch being careful not to snip through your stitches.
    Name:  Attachment-148872.jpe
Views: 3600
Size:  314.8 KB

Here is the back side. I choose to use three colors which made keeping things in order very important so the pattern would work out on the back.
    Name:  Attachment-149931.jpe
Views: 3608
Size:  231.3 KB

Oops! I skipped this one of the clipping process.
    Name:  Attachment-150017.jpe
Views: 3639
Size:  248.8 KB

Here's the finished quilt again. Before washing, I took it outside and gave it a real good shake to get rid of all the little snippets of thread and fabric. I shook until I didn't see much flying around anymore. The dryer lint was still very interesting :-) Charm packs are available on my website (see my signature line below) and if you have any questions please send me a PM. Thanks :-)
    Name:  Attachment-151100.jpe
Views: 3764
Size:  270.1 KB

I have never made a rag quilt. I am going to have to give it a try. It looks so easy and yours came out really nice. Thanks for the info.

Pulchritudinous!!

Great tutorial, I've made several rag quilts & they always turn out so nice. Quick too! Thank you!

SEW
    Can you use flannel as the backer so your rag quilt is only 2 layers? or do you use it as batting?

Very good - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SEW
    Can you use flannel as the backer so your rag quilt is only 2 layers? or do you use it as batting?

I think you can do it with either one or two layers of flannel. I haven't used flannel yet but I'm sure I will as soon as I get to the store to buy some. :D

This one was done with regular cotton fabrics.

SEW
    Never made a rag quilt before, but it looks fun! It is going on my list of "things I want to make"!

Thanks, I wasn't sure how many layers were there. I'm making one now!

Thanks!

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    I've made two in flannel with cotton batting.

Best tip in your tutorial: Sew Around the Perimeter TWICE.

I did not, and am repairing one of them now. (it is one that is Heavily Used and washed over and over.)

Blog Entries
    Yes you can use flannal. Most rag quilts are made entirely of flannal so that it frays more. You can also use homespun which frays much more. I have made several of these and they are so much fun to make. If you want to save your hands in the clipping I would suggest that you purchase what is called rag quilt snips. They are spring loaded for easier cutting.

I'm anxious to try one of these quilts. I read a tip in another turorial to use a short machine stitch. It cuts down on the repairs. I'll also remember to do the twice around.

I love this tutorial. I wanted to make my 8 great grandchildren quilts for Christmas this year (small quilts). And was looking for something quick and easy. I am new to quilting and need it to be quick as I have ADHD? Can't consentrate on time consuming projects. Always had it but it never had a name when I was young and of course no meds, jus tlearned to live with it. I used to sit and do needlework for hours, but I am 72 now and it seems to get worse as I age. Thank you for listening (reading?).

Now this is really good tute, you saved us a great deal of time and headache on how best to put together. I appauld you for this and thanks ! I have the rag cutter of the accuquilt go and this will even save me more by cutting my own rather than buying charm packs and waiting on the order IF im having to make a quickie...

my DGD, who is 8 is making a flannel rag quilt, she used only 2 layers. I will post pics when she is done, probably will be a long time as she is doing it all by herself. She has cut, pinned and is sewing all by herself. She has some rows to go yet then she has to clip the edges. posted by a proud grandma

Thanx for a great tute. I want one to throw in the truck for when we are out in the woods and just grab a sandwich or somenthing to drag along. Good spread it on the ground quilt if I back it with denim.

Great tute and I am ready to sew one with minkee on one side and flannel on the back -

I've made a couple of these - great fun! Homespun fabrics make a great country-looking quilt. A couple of tips that I can provide. First, stay away from firmly woven fabrics because they won't give you that frayed look. Second, when you are wash and dry the quilt, there's a lot of loose threads. Usually the lint trap of the dryer needs to be cleaned out about every 10 minutes. The more you wash the quilt, the better it looks. When giving the quilt as a gift, include one of those sticky lint rollers so the recipient can clean the threads off of the quilt after washing it. One final tip. When someone admires the quilt that you made and wants you to make one for them, make sure that you ask what size they want before agreeing to do it. I agreed to make one for my niece, then she told me that she wanted a king-size one! Holy Toledo! That was a big quilt!

I have made probably six rag baby quilts all of flannel. I don't put bat in the middle, I use another piece of flannel, so there is three pieces , top, middle and bottom, all of flannel, sew the X and join as shown. I learned on my first one that spring loaded scissors are a must, especially if you have old arthritic hands, like mine. They are fun to make and prety quick too. Be sure to take to Laundromat for first washing especially if you have a septic system as you will goet lots of shedding on the first wash. before drying, take outside and shake vigorously to get rid of more loose threads and after you put in the dryer, check your lint filter several times during drying and clean it out often. Most of all, have fun. On several of the ones I made, I used fancy stitches in different colors to make the X.

Thank you I wanted to know how to make a rag quilt but didnt want to ask

My husband and I have made 24 raggy quilts in just over a year. We've tried different things with each, and personalized them with machine embroidery. We've made one for each member of the family and have run out of people to make them for. Now we feel kind of lost. I'll try to post pictures of some of them in a few days.

Great tip about cleaning out the lint trap every ten minutes. If you have made a rag quilt, you will be SHOCKED at the amount of lint | strings that accumulates during the drying process.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy9052
    I've made a couple of these - great fun! Homespun fabrics make a great country-looking quilt. A couple of tips that I can provide. First, stay away from firmly woven fabrics because they won't give you that frayed look. Second, when you are wash and dry the quilt, there's a lot of loose threads. Usually the lint trap of the dryer needs to be cleaned out about every 10 minutes. The more you wash the quilt, the better it looks. When giving the quilt as a gift, include one of those sticky lint rollers so the recipient can clean the threads off of the quilt after washing it. One final tip. When someone admires the quilt that you made and wants you to make one for them, make sure that you ask what size they want before agreeing to do it. I agreed to make one for my niece, then she told me that she wanted a king-size one! Holy Toledo! That was a big quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    Yes you can use flannal. Most rag quilts are made entirely of flannal so that it frays more. You can also use homespun which frays much more. I have made several of these and they are so much fun to make. If you want to save your hands in the clipping I would suggest that you purchase what is called rag quilt snips. They are spring loaded for easier cutting.
    I'm not sure how much rag quilt snips are, but I used my husbands spring loaded Fiskars for my baby rag quilt made with flannel and they worked great. I found a smaller pair of spring loaded Fiskars at Home Depot for $9.99 (I think) and they also work great.

When I do flannel rag quilts, I will put batting inbetween layers. it just seams more cumfy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast