Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Rag Quilt Tutorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/rag-quilt-tutorial-t106335.html)

chatonne40 03-23-2011 06:55 AM

Hey that 'looks' easy enough for a first try at quilting :-) I think I am going to make this one as my test and practice for seam allowance and stitching with felt and it will be used as a cat or dog bed spread
Thank you!!

marmalade 05-26-2011 08:25 AM

Thank you so much for sharing these easy directions!

I love the simplicity of this!

flannelqueen 05-27-2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus

Originally Posted by SEW
Can you use flannel as the backer so your rag quilt is only 2 layers? or do you use it as batting?

I think you can do it with either one or two layers of flannel. I haven't used flannel yet but I'm sure I will as soon as I get to the store to buy some. :D

This one was done with regular cotton fabrics.

When I do rag quilts with flannel, I don't put batting in the middle. But if you want it heavier, you can still use batting.

MellieKQuilter 05-31-2011 03:43 PM

THis looks very doable! Another one for my ever growing list! Thank you!

babeyruth 08-14-2011 07:38 AM

wow, you made it look so easy, I will love to try this.

blueangel 08-17-2011 11:51 AM

Thanks

waladopa 08-17-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by chamby

Originally Posted by SEW
Can you use flannel as the backer so your rag quilt is only 2 layers? or do you use it as batting?

Yes you can use flannal. Most rag quilts are made entirely of flannal so that it frays more. You can also use homespun which frays much more. I have made several of these and they are so much fun to make. If you want to save your hands in the clipping I would suggest that you purchase what is called rag quilt snips. They are spring loaded for easier cutting.

And even better, buy an accuquilt fabic cutter. I just bought the accuquilt studio, it cuts 19 layers at a time. I bought the rag quilt die and it even cuts the fringe all at the same time. I can hardly wait to use it.

craftykk 03-11-2012 09:50 PM

thank you, this is a great tutorial, i love these quilts!

QuiltingCrazie 03-11-2012 10:21 PM

Thanks!! I'm going to make one I have way too many batting scraps this is perfect....thanks!

romanojg 03-12-2012 09:20 AM

Very good. I love making these. I have to admit that I cheat. I have the accuquilt die and it makes my life so much easier. So much that when I find flannel on sale I'll buy a bunch and the set down and make a whole bunch of squares and I keep them in a special tote. Then when I need a quick gift; I pull it out and select the appropriate squares for that person and a fast quilt is made. I also sometimes will put appliques onto the solid squares on the backside and then it's a two sided quilt and gives little ones something to look at when thats about all they can do.