Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Stop Stitching Here - - - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/stop-stitching-here-t289669.html)

bearisgray 07-15-2017 03:49 PM

Stop Stitching Here - - -

1 Attachment(s)
When sewing a binding to a quilt - stop sewing at the points indicated in the drawing.

If not clear - please ask question.

So many how to put binding directions on say "stop 1/4 inch from the edge" - which is fine if your seam line is 1/4 inch from the edge.

If your seam allowance is 1/2 inch, stop stitching 1/2 inch from the "end" -

If your seam allowance is 1/8 inch, stop stitching 1/8 inch from the "end" -

I usually measure the distance needed and put a pin there - and then I shorten my stitch length as I approach "that" spot - it is better to be further away from the edge than too close to edge.

Example: If 1/2 inch is where you want to stop - it is better to stop 9/16 inch away from the edge than 7/16 from the edge. When one gets too close to the edge/end, then the miter does not miter nicely.

QuiltnNan 07-15-2017 04:02 PM

thanks for sharing

Daffy Daphne 07-15-2017 08:31 PM

Quoting bearisgray: "it is better to be further away from the edge than too close to edge."

Very true. What I usually do is stop stitching, pull the quilt out from under the presser foot and leave tails about 4" long when cutting the threads. When I turn the binding up at a 45 degree angle, if the edges of the binding don't quite line up with the edge of the quilt sandwich, I thread the bobbin thread through a big-eye needle, insert it from underneath through all the layers at the exact point when the stitching should have ended, and tie it off with the needle thread. This is so much easier than correcting stitching that went too far.

LindaJ 07-16-2017 03:10 AM

Thanks bearisgray always thought it was 1/4 inch no matter what the seam allowance was.

Walter'sMom 07-16-2017 04:41 AM

After many years, I only recently figured this out. Glad you shared this, thx

maviskw 07-16-2017 04:56 AM

Thanks for the tip. A very good idea.

ube quilting 07-16-2017 01:35 PM

Thanks for sharing this good information. Practicing this on some small samples will insure good technique when using it on a finished project.

copycat 07-17-2017 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by LindaJ (Post 7864710)
Thanks bearisgray always thought it was 1/4 inch no matter what the seam allowance was.

Yes..me,too! Thank you for your drawing. I am trying the 3/8" Seam allowance today, so I appreciate your tips!

Rhonda K 07-17-2017 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by copycat (Post 7865252)
Yes..me,too! Thank you for your drawing. I am trying the 3/8" Seam allowance today, so I appreciate your tips!

I use the 3/8" seam for attaching binding also and mark the corners at 3/8" then stitch off. The stitch off line helps create that perfect 45 miter later.

Please let us know if you like the results using a 3/8" seam!

linmid 07-18-2017 04:32 AM

Oh my thank all of you so much. I too thought it had to be 1/4" no matter what and I have always had trouble with my miters. This changes my thinking.